Note to New Members ×

general intec questions

jtdds

Just rode intecs for the first time. Same board, same cateks, same angles. Toesides felt much better ( my weaker turn) and my stronger heelside turn was a disaster. I felt quite uncomfortable most of the evening. In all the years of changing boots, bindings and boards I never remember feeling such a big change-- did not expect it... wonder if anyone has feedback.

By the way, sole reason for the intec try was frustration with the catek olympic rear bail-- it does not fit the back of any boot I have put on it! Very sloppy laterally. The guys at Catec suggested some use the front SI bail as the REAR bail in a lever system. Now I am really confused...

Guest Randy S.

Do the intec heels raise your heel up more than you were used to? That would explain it. Also, are you still centered on the board (side to side, not tip to tail)? If the change shifted your boot center to one side or the other, that would explain some difference. I suspect after another day or so, you'll be fine, but check those things.

whether the boot is centered from the my old system is a good question, and I thought of that. If the boot were located further 'back' (heel dragging more) would that improve the toeside by leverage or heel?

YYZ's comment about using a lever system and a SI on different feet is interesting-- how long did you do that? And when you finally got used to both SIs did it have a permanent change on your riding style or did you return to similar form?

I agree with Dave. The heel pad is totally removed from the system with Intecs, and yet the toe pad remains. So heelsides will stay consistently solid - different to toesides, no matter what you try. In softer boots it's not as noticeable. With Burton Physics both toe and heel are captured, so they are much more consistent (and solid). I know a few people that tried Intecs and switched back specifically because of the difference heel to toeside. Of course, your experience may vary. We are human, we can adapt.

Originally posted by Chris Houghton

With Burton Physics both toe and heel are captured, so they are much more consistent (and solid).

This is only true if you are using the Speed Hooks at the toe rather than the toe bail. For better or for worse, I think the Speed Hooks are only compatible with Burton's Intec-compatible boots.

As a related question, does anyone familiar with Speed Hooks know if they can be retrofitted to other boots? I've noticed that some boots (e.g. Head) come with replaceable forefoot pads - might there be a way to get the hook plate fixed up in there?

Eddie

It seems to me that the speed hooks work only with Burton's own boots. I really like race physics with the speed hooks, but the problem is that Burton no longer manufactures alpine boots. Atleast as far as I know. No new boots, no benefit from the speed hooks.

Thanks for the replies. The thing that continues to bother me is how much the intec stiffness affected my riding--that single change. I have ridden different systems-- boots, bindings and boards and always been able to get in 'sync' in the first run or two. Not the case with the intecs-- two hours, getting better... but not comfortable.

My troubles with the stiffness must be unique otherwise I suspect I would have heard about it in the files.