Note to New Members ×

intec/step-in questions...HELP!!!

jtdds

After years of levers I am giving cables a try. I have had difficulty located info on the dos and don'ts of SI bindings. Such as:

what kind of longevity do you get out of cables and do they need special care?

What is the best way to thread the cable through the shell for access and comfort? Any thoughts appreciated. JT

A lot of people say you need to go through a two-step process to disconnect your boot from the binding: Push down the heel, then pull the cable. All that really means is to be sure to take the side loads off the pins when you are pulling the cable, if they are binding in the holes, you would have to pull really hard to release the bindings. I've gotten about 50 days on my main pair of heels, I think the key is doing the above so you are not pulling hard on the cable every time.

It's a good idea to take fine sandpaper (400-600) and polish the edges of the heel pins so they don't cause as much wear when stepping into the receivers.

Greasing the receiver ramps each day seems to make them click in easier and wear less.

You might have to enlarge the hole in the boot that the cable passes through, a little, mine have always been hard to get through there. As far as routing, I just thread the cable straight up the shell and out the top.

For criminy sakes make sure the pins are in and locked before riding :-) Pulling up to check is not enough, you have to at least hear the "click" or better yet look to see the pins in the holes.

Check the tightness of the four heel screws once in a while.

Guest wally sipes

i have been riding intec since 98' i have broken two cables. we are talking 60+ days a year. the second one was last week. keep a spare cable, $10, and tools to change it. note! plug your screw holes in your heels. if you don't the screwheads will get mucked up and it is a clfk to get them out. i have replaced my screws and tnuts with stainless to prevent seizing. throw down, wally