Note to New Members ×

Knee cartilage reconstruction surgery - help!

JK moscraciun

Hello to all

After years of neglecting my popping, grinding knee issue recently I was diagnosed wit serious congenitally induced kneecap cartilage damage. (exact diagnosis Chondromalacia Patellae grade III).

The suggested treatment was reconstructive surgery via Autologous Chondrocyte Implantation. (ACI)

Did anyone here had such a procedure? or other alternative treatment procedure?

What was the outcome?

How was the recovery?

Do you where able to return to snowboarding? and in what extent?

Any advice? Alternatives?

Please, anyone?

Thanks you

JK

Hi,I have the same problem...a little less complicated,i still can carve,but asking around here in Italy,I heard that ther's a therapy Made of a simple injection in the knee of yalluronic acid that improve the fluidity of the knee reducing friction !

I get the Hyaluronic Acid shots every six months for my right knee which has no remaining cartilage. It's a product derived from rooster comb. It works wonders for me but I don't know if it would benefit your situation. Synvisc is one of the commercial products.

Thank you for your answers

@ patmoore

Luckily I still have some healthy cartilage left and the damaged are is still around 2-3cm

The aim/promise of the ACI surgery is 85-90% recovery - the thing is I'm 35 and in theory my body has reasonable regenerative response if I'm delaying this procedure the chances of success is proportionally decreasing with age.

@ codighel

I'm aware of Hyaluronic injections and in theory along with painkillers I could linger on for years.

The big decision for me is to go ahead with full radical surgery and do what is medically possible today( ACI is relative new procedure) or just hold back, sort of slow down and try to conserve what is left healthy > but sooner or later still surgery will be unavoidable!

Thank you guys.