Note to New Members ×

Catek OS2 on a titanal board?

breeseomatic

I have a used Coiler VSR FC coming in and I believe it to be the more modern titanal construction, the engravings indicate 2011. Until I get an email reply from Bruce, I want to get a collective opinion. Can I used my Catek OS2 with the D3 elastomer upgrade and the Catek binding spacers on the VSR FC? Do I run the risk of killing the board?

Ditch the OS2's will likely be the general response. I ran that exact setup on my VSR first when I purchased it until a spherical nut failed. Anyhow long story short, no it did not damage the board. It will permanently scratch the topsheet however so keep that in mind. The biggest thing, which I didn't discover until after I rode the board without the spacers, was how much they affected the flex of the board. It was significant.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I had discussions with Bruce about using the Cateks before I made the purchase and he did re-inforce the area as well. This was more for the point loading of the binding I believe vs protecting the metal. This was even though I was going to use spacers.

I read most of the threads, when contemplating doing the same on a SG, and decided to build my own plates out of kitchen cutting board material, mostly as I couldn't find a set of used catek spacers and did not want to order new ones. I did not experience any failure in the one short season that I rode them that way. Here's a pic.

post-7931-141842384072_thumb.jpg