Note to New Members ×

Gear Considerations...

Odd Job

I have a softboot/hardboot setup.

softboot:

2009 Neversummer Heritage 160cm

Celscius CLS9 boots size 10.5 (or 10)

hardboot:

af700 24.5mp with RAB with grey tongues (older model, ornage boot with the plastic zip toe/inline skate buckles)

175 prior (18cm waist)

So here's the problem, with a supportive footbed (I am about 5' 9" at 225 lbs).. my foot only comes out to ~25.5 cm in length.. and the width (unsupported.. from memory, had to order custom inline speed skates... is slightly over 11cm wide).. basically I have an extremely wide foot (I'm assuming a supportive foot bed will decrease the width.. slightly).

My neversummer deck has a 25.4cm waist, it's way too wide, I also don't know off the top of my head any softboot that would ever fit me properly. (I'm assuming it doesn't exist)...

So I guess I'm stuck with hardboots...? should I...

1. stick with the af700 boot (bought it used boot fitted, 1 finger shell fit, 24.5cm though (peformance fit?), .. do plastics degrade a lot? bought new thermoflex liners but a really old model)... but get a new thermoflex liner that is stiff (this older model has.. no support it's like a sponge).. and get it refitted with footbeds (dont' have footbeds).... and do a buckle mod (cause I hate the zip tie buckles)

OR

2. get new boots form scratch, maybe get a 25.5 cm model, although 24.5 seems to fit me lengthwise fine..

AND

3. I cannot flex my ankles at all, maybe in the middle of the turn, I get some flex at the ankles, but it's mostly more of a bend at knees sans ankle type of deal, I imagine it's horrible for powder/trees/bumps... would a BTS both blues solve this?.. I would ideally like one boot I can do it all one... for cost reasons/flexibility

4. anyone recommend a good powder/bump/all terrain board for a guy with small feet but weighs a ton?

5. I might also want another board for just railing carves, maybe plate system...

I would say comfortably assuming things go well, my budget is at minimum, $2k, but I'd love to save money wherever I could.

It really sucks having feet like mine.... would love to have normal feet! lol

You can try synapse wide or 32 boots size us8. Both boots are quite wide but you should try them first before buying.

1. I have wide feet, length 25.5cm and use 24.5 raichle. The key is the liner. If the outer shell can accommodate your feet without touching anywhere, then it might be ok, but then it's gonna cost quite a lot, sometimes it makes more sense to buy a pair of new boots and get the stock liner molded.

I'll leave questions 3,4, and 5 to more experienced carvers out there...

I've ridden UPZ RTRs (carving), UPZ ATBs (AM) and Deeluxe 225Ts. I used the 225s for one season and replaced them with the ATBs as that shell fits my foot better. I'm 6'2", 215lbs with extremely wide flat feet and a narrower heel and I couldn't get the heel on the 225T to hold my heel in place.

UPZs fit wider in the forefoot anf narrower in the heel than the Deeluxe boot. My bootfitter described them as essentially oppositely shaped from each other. They also have a spring system built-in to allow you to tune the flex similar to the BTS, though the BTS may supply more range of movement. I haven't personally riden on a BTS equipped boot, though I have installed it on my daughter's hardboots and it definately helped her with the flex (she was 10 and all of 80lbs last season).

I've replaced the UPZ liners in both boots with Deeluxe 141 liners and molded insoles. I may not have had to replace the liners but I like the custom fit of thermos, and going to a thermo alsomsoftens the boot somewhat. Because my feet are completely flat (yup) I've still had to have the toe box and arch of both boots widened substantially to accommodate for my wider feet. Once I got them set up they were super comfortable, however changing boots (for me) initially can take a bit of time to get them set-up properly.

Cheers,

Dave

Would you say scrape my deeluxes? or just get a new liner? (when should I ever replace a boot?)

No matter what, I either need a new liner, and/or a new boot.

I'm considering riding powder with hardboots basically (a possible move out west, in-person interview next week out in Colorado! woohoo!.. hope i get it).

but I also want the high speed carving performance (mach infinity!, lol)

I find the RAB system with the grey tongue way too stiff (the grey tongue is solid, unlike the floppy tongues of the lower deeluxe/raichle models)... if the BTS really softens it up (blue of course), I'm thinking I'll carve way better, and maybe leave the top 2 unbuckled for powder/AM (would my boot degrade faster due to this?)

or maybe I'll have to resort to having 2 boots, (o well), in which case I'd prefer a hardboot/softboot setup if such exists, but I'm thinking it doesn't. so it may have to be hardboot (carve), hardboot(am)

I've ridden UPZ RTRs (carving), UPZ ATBs (AM) and Deeluxe 225Ts. I used the 225s for one season and replaced them with the ATBs as that shell fits my foot better. I'm 6'2", 215lbs with extremely wide flat feet and a narrower heel and I couldn't get the heel on the 225T to hold my heel in place.

UPZs fit wider in the forefoot anf narrower in the heel than the Deeluxe boot. My bootfitter described them as essentially oppositely shaped from each other. They also have a spring system built-in to allow you to tune the flex similar to the BTS, though the BTS may supply more range of movement. I haven't personally riden on a BTS equipped boot, though I have installed it on my daughter's hardboots and it definately helped her with the flex (she was 10 and all of 80lbs last season).

I've replaced the UPZ liners in both boots with Deeluxe 141 liners and molded insoles. I may not have had to replace the liners but I like the custom fit of thermos, and going to a thermo alsomsoftens the boot somewhat. Because my feet are completely flat (yup) I've still had to have the toe box and arch of both boots widened substantially to accommodate for my wider feet. Once I got them set up they were super comfortable, however changing boots (for me) initially can take a bit of time to get them set-up properly.

Cheers,

Dave

Would you say scrape my deeluxes? or just get a new liner? (when should I ever replace a boot?)

I'd replace a boot when it's physically broken, cracked etc, or if it doesn't work with your foot shape, or you are somehow unsatisfied with the performance of it.

Not being a park guy or into doing grabs in the air, I personally don't ride softboots at all anymore. That being said I've got two sets of hardboots. The RTRs (RC-10s are the current UPZ model) I use when I'm going carving and plan to be hitting groom. Though I did 50/50 a box in the park on a 187 WCRM with them one time, and flew through a bunch of moguls with them on a Schtubby.

I typically use the ATBs in pow or for AM riding. Honestly the ATBs are really soft and give me a surfy feel, but still are rigid enough that i can carve respectably when i get back on groom but not to the extent that I can carve in my RTRs. i've dropped off a headwall for about 18' of vertical on them. And love running pow. I find I can deal with chopped up crud a lot better in hardboots than I can in softies.

Best of luck with the interview!

Dave.

Edited by Puddy Tat

I find when flexing hardboots at the ankle joint you shouldn't think about bending your ankle, rather think about shifting your weight towards the nose and tail of the board. This movement will involve shifting your hips forward or backwards causing your shin to lever against the boot cuff causing the ankle to flex. You'll need to be attached to a board to get this to work though.

If you need a softer boot and your boot is fitting properly you could definately try a BTS, if you are sick of the zip tie straps, you might want to consider a different boot. Either stay with the Raichles/Deeluxes if that fit works for you or try a UPZ. Heads still exist but I'm pretty sure they aren't being manufactured anymore.

Find comfortable boots (hard or soft.) And then ride the hell out of them. You'll find conditions they work well in, and conditions they don't work well in. You will never find one boot that works for everything. You can carve in softies and you can ride powder in HB's, but they are not optimal tools for those styles.

The terrain and conditions you are riding out east will be nothing like riding out west. I love the feel and control of HBs, but who wants to ride groomers all day? I'm way more interested in exploring the whole mountain in search of powder and tree-runs. To each his own.

What works for me 90% of the time out here (Colorado) are stiffer softies on long Tanker with Catek FR2's.

Just get out here and ride a bunch (in something comfortable) and you'll figure it out.

T

Thanks! :D

per the terrain out there (if I do move, I'll be primarly riding loveland/monarch/breckenridge)... should I upgrade from a 12M sidecut to a bigger one? and/or get a all mountain performer like the virus UFC?

or due to the vast terrain will an all mountain performaner + softer boots be the ticket due to the wonders of... powder.. and steeps.. and powder... and steeps... (lol)

I'd replace a boot when it's physically broken, cracked etc, or if it doesn't work with your foot shape, or you are somehow unsatisfied with the performance of it.

Not being a park guy or into doing grabs in the air, I personally don't ride softboots at all anymore. That being said I've got two sets of hardboots. The RTRs (RC-10s are the current UPZ model) I use when I'm going carving and plan to be hitting groom. Though I did 50/50 a box in the park on a 187 WCRM with them one time, and flew through a bunch of moguls with them on a Schtubby.

I typically use the ATBs in pow or for AM riding. Honestly the ATBs are really soft and give me a surfy feel, but still are rigid enough that i can carve respectably when i get back on groom but not to the extent that I can carve in my RTRs. i've dropped off a headwall for about 18' of vertical on them. And love running pow. I find I can deal with chopped up crud a lot better in hardboots than I can in softies.

Best of luck with the interview!

Dave.

Thanks! :D

per the terrain out there (if I do move, I'll be primarly riding loveland/monarch/breckenridge)... should I upgrade from a 12M sidecut to a bigger one? and/or get a all mountain performer like the virus UFC?

or due to the vast terrain will an all mountain performaner + softer boots be the ticket due to the wonders of... powder.. and steeps.. and powder... and steeps... (lol)

Only you can answer these questions. It's personal preference.

IMHO, Breck sucks. And monarch is in the middle of nowhere. Loveland is a gem. I could spend my whole year riding Challenger chair at MaryJane and be happy; because I live for trees and bumps (especially on my 192cm).

T

Hi which is your snowboarding style/level?

Try to contact this guys

http://www.palau-boutique.com/thermo-skiboot-liners,us,2,11.cfm

and ask them how they could help you, in my NW .900 I use this liner

http://www.palau-boutique.com/palau-alpine-overlap-soft,us,4,PAL-OVSOFT.cfm

and they work very well.

You could change your buckles buying the new type and replacing them but it will be quite expensive.

The original ones are not so nice but works very well,

you can adjust them easly at your the needing of the moment, the new ones are a bit more stiffer but for the on slope fine tuning are not useful.

http://bomberonline.3dcartstores.com/All-Track-Series-Parts_c_52.html

Try to change the original RAB spring that is too hard.

My weight is more or less 265 and I don't think that the BTS with blue springs could work for you.

IMHO

The steps are

1 Go to a bootfitter and modify your boot making them become wider

2 liners and footbeds, that you could even reuse on other boot shells

3 spring replace

More or less $150 spent

If everything is working you could change the buckles.

If you decide to buy a new pair of new or used boots the only thing to do is to try them on your feet, is not said that the best boots are also the best boots for your feet!

AFAIK the Raichle 325 are wider than other boots.

Edited by jacopodotti

The solution for me was to ride hardboots all the time and use 2 diffrent pairs of hardboots. I use the Deluxe lemans for all mountain on all mountain boards and Dupraz d1 and I use the Deluxe Susaka for carve specific boards-metal race boards. I had too much foot pain and leg fatigue with softboots no matter what boot or binding I would use even with custon insoles. I don't ride trees. I will ride bumps but only certain types of bumps if they are spaced properly and not too icy. I ride powder with Dupraz d1 and lemans boots and Nidecker plate bindings. I tried bts with different springs but prefer to use the boots in stock condition as I don't want the extra movement. Hopefully we will get decent snow this season so that all mountain riding will be good this year?

The solution for me was to ride hardboots all the time and use 2 diffrent pairs of hardboots. I use the Deluxe lemans for all mountain on all mountain boards and Dupraz d1 and I use the Deluxe Susaka for carve specific boards-metal race boards. I had too much foot pain and leg fatigue with softboots no matter what boot or binding I would use even with custon insoles. I don't ride trees. I will ride bumps but only certain types of bumps if they are spaced properly and not too icy. I ride powder with Dupraz d1 and lemans boots and Nidecker plate bindings. I tried bts with different springs but prefer to use the boots in stock condition as I don't want the extra movement. Hopefully we will get decent snow this season so that all mountain riding will be good this year?

I completely forgot how it feels like to snowboard.. hahaha

I do remmeber...

1. at speed the af700s (older model, orange colour with rab) would twist and stretch or move or stuff during a high speed carve (not ankle flex, i'm talking about mid sole, or lateral stiffness, or the stiffness of the plastic)... esp if the snow was heavy and wet, .. where it would support even higher g's.

2. I hear the new af700's are softer (or did they get stiffer again?)

3. would the bts really change the ankle flex by a lot? I might remove the rab and see how flexy it is, I know Joerg from pureboarding rides his back foot with the rab off (no 5 forward lean flex, just .. sans RAB.. super flexy).. and I also know he rides everything with those af700's, I also know he's nowhere near my weight....(225lbs)...

---> would my existing af700's with bts yellow be the ticket?!

PS: not sure if I'm going to accept a job offer, probably will, but WELCOMEEEEEE COLORADOOO!!!! land of the freeeeeee (err wtf? :D)