Note to New Members ×

New Here

m4ttflynn

Hi! I am in Bellingham, during the week, in the evenings, I sometimes ride at nashoba or ski ward in shrewsbury if you are interested. And go to the rally at berkshire east (linked in marcs post above) if you can, I learned more there faster from marc and bobby and others then I have learned on my own. I won't make it this year due to conflicts with ECES, but I highly recommend it.

Did you find a board yet? I have a donek axxess I want to sell if you are interested, this was my first board a few years ago. To bad I just sold the bindings I had on it just last week.

I have to check, I think 172. I can get you pics if you are interested, or you can come down and take a look. It is used, got top sheet nicks and dings around the edges from being used. But it was tuned by skimd, edges are in good shape, lots of life left yet.

Hi Matt,

Anytime you want to ride Berkshire East, let me know. I also frequent Wachusett (mostly nights) and have been known to get out to Ski Ward (although not this year yet) on occasion. Last year I rode at Nashoba also, but haven't been there yet this year.

Welcome!

Michael

I'm planning to be at B-East this saturday. If you like I'll put my old Burton PJ in the van in case you want to try it and haven't got your own ride together yet. It'll take ski boots and is a regular (left foot forward) asym. Fun ride although a rental from Pureboarding would be much more current and would give you more idea of where the sport is nowadays.

Thanks Jonny, but this weekend I'll be down in CT trying to get my race car project moving this weekend...

I actually did just get the boots here, since the price seemed right- so I won't be using ski boots http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?35850-2-Pairs-of-28-5-boots

After I try it out, I'll be looking for a board and bindings most likely

I'll be out that way the weekend of the 25th-26th, and trying to convince my friends for a day at berkshire east so I could try out an alpine board.

I also MIGHT be out the weekend before that, trying to get my buddy in greenfield interested. (His name is Jonny too)

I have to check, I think 172. I can get you pics if you are interested, or you can come down and take a look. It is used, got top sheet nicks and dings around the edges from being used. But it was tuned by skimd, edges are in good shape, lots of life left yet.

I think that's about the size I'd be looking for if I like the sport, I'll be sure to let you know!

Bindings by any chance?

• 2 weeks later...

I think I just might come out saturday actually, now that you mention it...

I can rent equipment from b'east, right? Might work out well, as I've been teaching my girlfriend to ski this winter, maybe we'll go about the same pace now!

How much rental equipment do they have there? I might see if my buddy is up for coming as well

Yes, you can rent alpine equipment from b'east. They have 'pureboarding' boards. They even have an 'intro to alpine boarding class'. Some info is here: http://berkshireeast.com/pureboard

I don't know how many they have, but I wouldn't think there is a problem getting the equipment on a random day (better to call or talk to mark probably). Hopefully Mark responds (dingbat), he is the b'east expert. Hopefully he is also available Saturday to help you, he is much better then I at helping someone do this for the first time.

I will bring my axxess along so you can check it out. Cell phone reception at the mountain is very bad, (almost non-existant), but I will probably be over around exhibition most of the day. If you are definitely going, we could set a meet up time and place if you like.

I think that's about the size I'd be looking for if I like the sport, I'll be sure to let you know!

Bindings by any chance?

Hi Matt,

Welcome to Carving!

As a relative newbie carver, I can agree with all the advice given to you so far. My advice would be:

1. Go to the rally! Joerg will be there giving instruction on his carving technique. I know that ECES starts on Monday in Stratton and it's the biggest carving event on the east coast but if I were you I would make it a priority to go to Berkshire East. There will be far less people at the Rally than ECES, it's a much better way to get some quality time in with Joerg. Riding and hanging out with the guys from Pure Boarding is a blast! (and that guy Mark at Berkshire East isn't too bad either! :D)

2. Do yourself a favor, don't buy a board just because you feel like you want one. Go to the rally, try a couple of different boards, learn to carve, have a beer and enjoy. Once you figure out what style of carving you like then you can buy a board.

I say this because I learned this one the hard way and almost killed myself!

I hope to see you at the Rally!

Ken

ps. if you want to buy bindings I will be bring a pair of snow pro's with me that you can try/buy if you like.

matt, I only bumped into you once on saturday, and then I didn't see you the entire rest of the day! Mark and Johnny and I were together most of the rest of the day, and would have been more then willing to help you out. How did it go for you, and what did you think?

I had a good time, got a carve going a few times, I think I'll plan on having a board of my own for next year. Most of the day I was waiting around for my girlfriend who's learning to ski. I'm not sure yet if I'll make it to berkshire east for this weekend, but I'll post here when I figure it out.

Mark, What again were the bindings you recommended?