Note to New Members ×

Wax / Graphite question

www.oldsnowboards.com

Has anyone used pure graphite as a base treatment?

Graphite in bases and waxes are common and accepted performance enhancers.

I don't recall it being added seperately? Too much ? Curious.

How about sprinkling it directly on a graphite base before waxing??

Thanks,

Some notes from wax retailers describing benefits in very general terms.

Graphite wax - graphite is a wax additive to fluoro or hydro waxes. It adds anti-static properties to wax. This is helpful when riding on old or spring snow. It keeps dirt from clinging to the base of your board. This isn't so important to recreational riders but racers will have this wax in their arsenal.

Soft paraffin with graphite additive, 250 grams, snow temperature -5 to 0 degrees C. High and medium melting point paraffin for saturation and protection of ski and snowboard bases. Ideal as an initial base prep wax when snow temperature is cold and air is very dry (little or no humidity), or as a first wax after stonegrinding base. High quality, high melt point paraffin with graphite additive that is economial as a first layer before applying condition specific wax.

never pure graphite, but i do melt some of the graphite stick onto the board when doing regular waxing. it definitely improves the glide - one of the t-bar tracks here has a downhill section in the middle. since you always come over the crest at the same speed, it's a good test.

i've wondered about using carnauba in a 1" border beside the edges, since it's where we are most of the time.

Over the years I have used a number of powders as an additive, never heard of using pure graphite dust.

I am just thinking "why not". It is relatively inexpensive , used often in waxes. Why not just sprinkle it into your favorite hot wax?

I typically use a wax that is approx. one step, maybe two harder along the edges. Depends of course on many other conditions.

i suppose it would help to understand how the graphite powder reduces drag, be it lubricity or static dispersion.

What I have read is that the long chain structure of the graphite molecule conducts heat away from the surface of the base resulting in less snow melt.

Don't know if it's true or just marketing hype. I do know that the Swix graphite wax I used to use held up very well and glided exceptionally well.

Source link

http://www.dominatorwax.com/faqs.html#WHATAREGRAPHITEWAXES?

"WHAT ARE GRAPHITE WAXES?

Despite the antistatic claims of some companies, only graphites address friction from static. Graphite waxes are created by adding graphite, a black powder with antistatic and lubricating properties, to hydrocarbon or fluorinated waxes. Typically, the ratio of graphite to wax is approximately 1 to 99. The grade of graphite is critical; the smallest possible particle size must be used so it does not interfere with the base structure. Most users apply graphite wax incorrectly; the best method is to rub it on the base and then iron it in (harder waxes must first be softened by touching to the iron). This ensures uniform coverage of the base by the graphite particles. Graphite products include the DOMINATOR Electroground series (FG 07, FG 77 and FG 88). Graphite Zoom, RaceZoom New Snow and ReNew Zoom Graphite. Graphite waxes work best on natural and man-made snows that are up to three days old."