Note to New Members ×

Catek polycarbonate Alpine binding spacers?

Gcarve

I'll be getting my Donek Metal FC board fairly soon, and have been looking at getting the Catek Alpine binding spacers for a little added insurance against binding point breakage. As I've read here, Titanal boards do have catastrophic failures more frequently than non-metal boards. I'm thinking these spacers might be a good idea.

I still want the "Metal" FC board, so there's no debating that. I'm just wondering if anyone has actually used the spacers, or has knowledge about them. They are compatable with all 4x4 bindings, so they'll work with the TD3's that are going on the board (with the use of longer M6 screws of course). Thanks for your input.

that search function thing works really well. You will get results for the dozens of times this topic has been discussed. It will even return a link to a video on how to make your own. Try it, it works.

Did the search, no detailed info answering my questions, plus all posts even briefly mentioning anything about it are from 2009-2010. I was hoping for more current info. And, I'm not looking to make my own, I'll happily pay for a high quality professionally made product anytime (That's why I'm buying a Donek!)

George,

I failed to realize you were thinking about putting them under your Bomber's. They are completely unnecessary with Bomber bindings. I've never seen any issue related to a Bomber TD3 with one of my boards. We do all our product development and testing with them and have not seen a single issue.

George,

I failed to realize you were thinking about putting them under your Bomber's. They are completely unnecessary with Bomber bindings. I've never seen any issue related to a Bomber TD3 with one of my boards. We do all our product development and testing with them and have not seen a single issue.

Thanks Sean! I was hoping you would see this thread, and add your expertise to this discussion! It sounds like it would be overkill to add the Catek spacers to my Titanal board you're making me. I was just thinking about adding extra protection if I were to have a BIG wipeout. I appreciate your advice!

FWIW I had them on my VSR last season under my OS2's and discovered once they were removed at the end of the season that quite a bit of junk gets trapped under them and they had done a "nice" job of scratching up the top sheet. Frickin junk.

Yup, I took another look at the Catek web site, and they certainly will trap everything and anything under them. I guess if I didn't want scratches on the top sheet I'd have to disassemble everything and clean them after each day. What a pain in the but.

Yes it absolutely did change the flex of the board. I received the board shortly before ECES last year and had only two days on it before the session. Before we left I received the spacers and installed them. First day at Stratton was very soft and not at all what I normally ride here in Ontario so I could not make apples to apples comparison. I rode the rest of the week and the board felt different but I assumed it was just because of the different conditions. I rode the remainder of the season on that setup (OS2's and spacers).

This season I ditched the Cateks and moved to TD3's. First run the change was immediately apparent. The VSR was built for my weight (fat) so it was stiff, but I didn't realize how much I had been fighting it last season. Without the spacers it was a completely different beast and much more compliant. It turned when I told it to and bent when asked to. The while experience was much more enjoyable. Upon closer inspection of the top sheet you could see extra wear at the fore and aft ends of the front and rear spacers respectively as the were competing with the flex of the board.

Thanks CaRtharsis for sharing your real world experience with these spacers. This was the kind of info I was looking for when I started this thread.

It sounds like using the Catek spacers changes the dynamics of the flex of the board. That is a big sacrifice to make, just to add some protection from a massive wipeout that may never happen.

I saw this post over on the "alpine injured list", and felt it was relevant to add to the discussion here.

"Back from a few days in the lovely VT and a season ending hike to the top of Pico - about 6 inches of fresh fell on the way up, making for an awesome float down on my Tanker. Anyway, got home and started to do the ritualistic take it all apart and put it away and............... my Kessler (185) is trash. When I removed my Catek polycarbonate spacers and OS1 discs, I discovered a fissure running between a few of the inserts and out toward the tail of the board. Looking at the board from a profile view, it's ever so slightly raised in the same location. I don't think I'll ever ride it again, as I 'll have no confidence in it. The money is less the cause of pain than the fact that for the next 8 months I'll not have that magical ride to look forward to."

Originally posted by Davekempmeister

Catek, bindings break boards, period the spacer helped but the bindings have many more flaws then just that. They were needed on boards with metal topsheets with other bindings also. You could "dimple" the metal and create a weak point with out them under massive flex. Most of the learning curve about snowboards made with metal has been sorted out.