Note to New Members ×

Race Board Specs

brodster_57

I realize the question I am about to ask is relative on personal preference, ability, size, and so. I was just curious however what seems to be a common sidecut radius for Parallel GS? GS? Slalom?Parallel Slalom? Super G? What about board lengths and effective edge and tail taper? My main concern is PGS but any other disciplines would be great. Also I am not interested in beginner specs, but what the pros and experts are running. I got out of carving the last two seasons a bit and am now planning to get back into it. Just verifiying some specs. Thanks in advance for any info.

I agree with Kents general ranges listed above. PGS 180-190cm with 13.5 - 17m sidecut.

Now I have a coiler I purchased from Mike Kwiatkowski on the Canadian National Develpment Team and its a 188 w 15.7 radius, and he sold it because of the move from GS to PGS. The word that I'm hearing is that PGS boards are getting a little shorter (181 etc) with slightly sub 15m (14.5) sidecuts. Keep in mind that this is what some of the best racers are rockin' so if your sub-national level, you may want to go tighter with sidecut to help you out.

My personal preference would be something betweem 175-180cm with around a 14m sidecut. That would be a super fun board, and imo a better amature level race board.

-Matt D

Guest Randy S.

I have basically 3 boards I race on. A Volkl RT SL 163 for slalom races. A Donek 182 Race Thorn GSb for open GS courses and a Donek Freecarve I 171 for tighter GS courses. Now, I'm a weekend-warrior racer, not a world class caliber ripper. Keep that in mind. I must say that I love riding the Freecarve more than any other board in my quiver and I've won a bunch of races on it. It turns quckly, rides very smoothly and holds an edge. The Race board is stiffer and has a bigger sidecut so it doesn't turn as quickly, given the same pressure, edge angle.

Originally posted by Randy S.

I have basically 3 boards I race on. A Volkl RT SL 163 for slalom races. A Donek 182 Race Thorn GSb for open GS courses and a Donek Freecarve I 171 for tighter GS courses. Now, I'm a weekend-warrior racer, not a world class caliber ripper. Keep that in mind. I must say that I love riding the Freecarve more than any other board in my quiver and I've won a bunch of races on it. It turns quckly, rides very smoothly and holds an edge. The Race board is stiffer and has a bigger sidecut so it doesn't turn as quickly, given the same pressure, edge angle.

Hey didn't I sell you that Donek? How's it working out? My Last name is Mahoney,