Note to New Members ×

A-basin today

Donek

I drove up to Arapahoe basin today to carve and do a little plate experimenting with Fin. Unfortunately, the snow was not ideal for carving and I found myself riding the tail. It was really impressive how the plate made most of the uneven terrain disappear though. Not wanting to waste the trip, I played a bit with some gopro ideas I've been thinking about. You're likely to see some vastly improved booms at SES, but this one certainly proved it works.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tD03PJ9WIow" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

The plate really isolates the rider. The video makes that so clear.

Oh, please show us how you made your boom, Sean? That's an awesome angle because it gets the camera out of the snow, off of the board and 'floating' behind the rider. OMG! I just realized that it's possible to do the same thing from the front of the rider.

Thanks, Sean!

Mark

The plate really isolates the rider. The video makes that so clear.

Oh, please show us how you made your boom, Sean? That's an awesome angle because it gets the camera out of the snow, off of the board and 'floating' behind the rider. OMG! I just realized that it's possible to do the same thing from the front of the rider.

Thanks, Sean!

Mark

That boom was simply a couple of pieces of 1X2 screwed together. It was originally made to simply verify position and distance. By the end of the first run, it was falling apart. Fin and I are working something much better for SES. Perhaps something will be available for sale next year.

very videogame effect.

Totally! That is what I thought.

Sean, those perspectives are nice. Well, the boot one is crazy but is good to show what is happening down there.

I can think of how you could make a mount that rises up from behind or in front if you make it mount between two elastomers under the binding or something. And then put a gyro on the end and it will stay verticle!:) Maybe a simple ball bearing and weight system. "Simple." Yah right.

Totally! That is what I thought.

Sean, those perspectives are nice. Well, the boot one is crazy but is good to show what is happening down there.

I can think of how you could make a mount that rises up from behind or in front if you make it mount between two elastomers under the binding or something. And then put a gyro on the end and it will stay verticle!:) Maybe a simple ball bearing and weight system. "Simple." Yah right.

A weighted system will follow you as the centripital acceleration causes the weight to swing out. A semi balanced pendulum will reduce reaction time and stay level for a little longer, but eventually swing in line with the rider. The only way to keep a rock steady horizon is with a gyro of some sort. I am investigating this and will probably have something working this spring.

A weighted system will follow you as the centripital acceleration causes the weight to swing out. A semi balanced pendulum will reduce reaction time and stay level for a little longer, but eventually swing in line with the rider. The only way to keep a rock steady horizon is with a gyro of some sort. I am investigating this and will probably have something working this spring.

Although I really love a good gyro and some fries, I doubt that adding a squishy Greek-style sandwich to the equation is hardly going to solve anything to do with getting better shooting angles. :D

I'm working on a harness that is worn like a backpack which features a pole mount. It effectively copies your camera angle idea, Sean, except that instead of mounting to the plate or board, the rider wears the camera. Not sure how it will turn out but, it's better than trying to hold a pole all day.

Mark

By the end of the first run, it was falling apart.

Guess it's a good thing it didn't fall apart while you were still on a run! That wouldn't be good. Cool concept.... I think it's great how in the first part you can't see the pole, but on the other hand, it is nice to be able to see the board too! Good thing you don't drag your hand much.... the camera would probably be all full of snow and may not see much of anything!

I spent the day making some more industrial versions of the boom. Should be able to handle just about anything you can dish out. I have 4 done and ready to go. They are designed to mount to a plate though, so don't expect to use one without a plate. Bring your gopro or other POV camera and a handle bar/pole mount if you wish to try one out at the Session.