Note to New Members ×

Lift Chairs "Derail" @ Surgarloaf !!!!

SteveInOregon

Yeah I was just reading this and it's sad that people got hurt. I'm am very grateful because this same thing happened at my resort the Sunday before last. Thankfully nobody was hurt and nobody fell from the chair. I was stuck on the chair with my GF and two buddies for about an hour and twenty minutes before we got evacuated. It was snowing and the the winds were 30-40 with gusts of 60-70mph.

That's James Ong and Russell in the photos.

post-831-141842330066_thumb.jpg

post-831-141842330068_thumb.jpg

post-831-14184233007_thumb.jpg

Nice to hear You got off it ok.

Let me ask You a question, why are You still wearing Your board as you get lowered off the stuck lift.

PS: I always wrap my arm around either the back horizontal rail or the side virtical rail when riding a lift, its just a subconciouce safety thing in case if jerks to a stop I "mite" be able to keep from getting tossed forward and off.

Let me ask You a question, why are You still wearing Your board as you get lowered off the stuck lift.

That was what we were instructed to do. I think it would be more dangerous to drop your board from the lift since it does not have any breaks, it might take off down the mountain.

That's the way we do it at our hill too. We instruct the person in the chair to leave their skis/boards on. Usually we have them toss their poles to the side so it frees up their hands.

The reasons for leaving the gear on are several. One, boards don't have brakes and will run off, skis might too. Two, that stuff is heavy and I don't trust the skiing public not to hit me and everyone else in the head. Three, we turn the evacuee so that their edge is across the fall line when we lower them. That way they don't go sliding off and hurt themselves or others when they are unharnessed. Four, gear is expensive and may be damaged in a 30+ foot drop, someone will be expected to pay for that damage.

________

Effects Of Avandia