Note to New Members ×

First run of the season in Michigan

sxybst90

I got out to mt. Holly yesterday got all the attention i can possibly get from everybody that was on the hill! Lol

My favorite was "dude that is so long and awesome" almost said thats what she said but the kid was 5. Haha

Anyway back to the story i was having trouble all night long getting a good deep carving going on my toe side. I do understand that i need to drop my hip... But i quickly came to realization that it really is easier to be said than done. Also as i was having trouble controlling my board all together there was a guy on F2(who also seemed rather surprised to see me with my donek) that told me make my stance wider and also give more forward angle on my binding and that should give me more of a deep carve...

So my question here is that.... Is it true?? More forward angle means better carve? What do u guys think?

It's all about what's comfortable for you. No, more angle does not mean better carve, unless it puts you in your comfort zone. There's a number of good articles in the welcome center that are worth a read, perhaps they will give you some ideas on what to work on next.

If you post up your current stance and angles you may get more definitive responses.

Long and hard...:lol:

I took a clinic with Sean at Snow Sports Performace a few years back that was one of my epiphanies. Initiate the turn by forcefully driving the knees into the turn then drop into your carve stance, or stay there..(Much like we did on shape skies) This torsions the deck and forces it to really rail. You'll need to experiment with body weight position, especially on the Donek. (I could never get comfortable on one) On my Coilers it's much like a slolam ski...they like to be rode a little nose heavy into the turn, then I shift back only as needed to complete the arc I'm after.

This is a mental issue with me that I need to dial up each and every morning I ride. I never feel 'it' initially, and I ask myself, "where are your knees?" Yup riding lazy, push the knees and walla. It's more work to get it right but done right it becomes easy...also much like slolam skiing.

I originally learned to initiate turns head and shoulders down "the body will follow" This is more similar to the Euro carve style or surf style. Starting with the knees seems more technical and allows you to keep you body and mind focused on the fall line.

At the end of the day it comes down to what works for you, that's why there are so many different styles. As far as angles I'm 60/55 on my VSR, and long boards, 55/50 on the all mountain and Powstick 3 degree cants front and back, FYI

Hvae fun!

I'm not sure about a more forward angle, but depending on your current stance going a little wider (shoulder width or slightly wider) may give you better balance and control.

Last season (my first in hardboots), I had a fairly narrow stance (just less than shoulder width) for comfort reasons. This season I went slightly wider and immediately noticed I was more balanced, especially on steeper terrain.