Note to New Members ×

OC stone grind

rjnakata

Well I picked up an old Burner in need of some TLC...and a base grind. I wasn't looking for PTC perfection, just some basic knowledge about tuning and a tech symathetic to a carver's needs.

It turns out Newport Ski Co. (Stephan Kaelen) has gone out of business, and Phil's Ski and Snowboard in Costa Mesa doesn't do stone grinding. Beyond that there's Summit Ski and Cycle in Westchester, but that's about an hour north of OC.

So on a whim I checked out the new REI location in Tustin and it turns out they have an SVST stone grind (and belt) machine run by a seemingly knowledgable tech (Don D.)

After some discussion I asked for, and got: 1 degree base edges and 3 degree side edges, a nice even base structure, no detune, no wax and a rejuvinated Burner--overnight for $30 out the door. (They do quote a 3 days turn-around).

One thing I didn't get was sidewall planing...apparently that tool went missing...but at least they knew what I was refering to!

Next up, a base weld repair on the Madd 170...then head to the hills! :biggthump