Note to New Members ×

Seven Springs - Opening Day - Dec 4

Flashby

My local resort, Seven Springs, is finally going to open for the season this weekend (Dec 4 at 9 AM). The conditions will not be ideal but I need to get out and make sure all my gear works since I will be at Stowe and a few surrounding resorts next weekend (Dec 12-15). I was hoping that Snowshoe would be open this past weekend but the warmer weather and rain eliminated that. It will be crazy but it will be the start of my season.

Hi again Flashby—I've never ridden Seven Springs...so this winter might be a good time to check it out.

Regarding Snowshoe: I've never had a good experience carving there—way too many people and absurdly narrow slopes. I've had a fairly good day at Silver Creek next door (much better carving slopes).

How have your Snowshoe experiences been?

Scott

Hello again. If you've never been to Seven Springs then don't get your hopes up. 750 ft vertical on the 'back' (more like the right portion) and 360 ft vertical on the 'front' (more like the left portion). It is only 90 minutes from me so the closest spot and enough variation for a novice to keep me happy. Once the Halfpipe gets built it is the longest on the East Coast (I think it was 600' long last year). I've only been there starting late Feb 2010 so saw it in late season conditions which are not ideal but it was still ridable. I hope full-on Winter is even better. I can share pics and some video but let me know when/if you head there as I'm planning to be there every weekend for a while for as much practice as possible.

I rode Snowshoe on April 4 this year and they STILL had about a foot of snow but not all areas were open. I liked the vertical drop better than Seven Springs, scenery is better, WV is my homestate for the first 13 yrs so a soft spot for me, like starting at the top of the hill for the resort, do NOT like the fact there is zero cell coverage for Verizon, do not like that it is about an hour from the nearest civilization and about 2 hrs to the nearest Interstate (for me) so a 5-5.5 hr trip and I think I might enjoy several other areas within a 5-hr drive better. This also might be because I did the trip in one day (5-hr drive in the AM, ride for about 5 hrs, and a 5-hr drive home). The next trip will be an overnight one but I liked Snowshoe initially. Yes it was a little narrow but there were not as many people there late in the season so I think it worked out for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Ha! Discounts?!? Try special "holiday" pricing in effect! :eek: Hidden Valley has the lowest rates but not as much terrain. & Springs is the place to go. Just be ready to pay big mountain price.

$73 for a day pass at Springs or $114 for a weekend pass from Dec 24-Jan 2(holiday rates).

Hidden Valley is $53/day for holiday rates. No weekend pass. Limited hours.

Well worth the extra $$$ for Springs!

• 3 weeks later...

Great to hear some folks hitting Seven Springs. They had some specials but as noted they were not for during the Holiday time (same with Hidden Valley). It is still hit or miss on weather. I had a friend there Tuesday who said it was stellar though I was there just the Friday before and it was 75% ice on the North Slope. I did Hidden Valley the Sunday between those days and there was zero ice, mainly packed powder, and some Advanced slopes with ungroomed powder. I had a much better time but it is obviously a smaller location. I'm still looking for my first hard boot boarder this season out on the slopes.