Note to New Members ×

MountainCreek Race Team

zenyogi4

I know there was one once and it got booted over politics. Is there anyone that is interested in building a new hardboot team? If there are enough committed people, I still know a few people in the skiracer division. Maybe we could get this done by planning it out now. Contact me if you are up for a try.

Yes I was once on that team for several years. Kevin Whitehead was our coach.

MC has not been interested in snowboard racing as it is not a mainstream.

If you plan on training with skiiers that could be a fun, but don't make much out of it to board racing. The setup for ski racing is too much different as we tried both occasionally. Also hitting high poles intimidates newcomers and hinders their technique. I would not recommend for a snowboarder.

The only thing that management seemd to wanted from us is commitment with money year after year more... and we still could not get proper trail. If you run into skiiers ruts after hours of their training you will understand what I mean. And add to that that training in the evening in New Jersey gives extra difficulty as melted snow freezes. Tha last part has been fun to me, but not the treatment by MC management.

I you find some decent coach let me know. From what I know just a few snowboard racers around MC may know as much as Kevin. Ski coaches usually do not know a zit about snowboard racing and before getting to advanced stuff they may be virtually useless as coaches. The instruction you you may expect is: "walk the course and inspect it". Nothnig such as how early go into turn on a particular gate. That's too much different between skiers and snowboarders for them.

I do not mean to be discouraging, but those are issues you will have to address. I believe that three of us (quite mature people) tried to handle that in different ways year after year and it did not work out. If your candidates or yourself have an excelllent relationship with the current racing director at MC then it could work. Let me know then and i will re-join the team :-)

Have fun though...

Originally posted by Hopscotch

Where's mountain creek at?

Northern New Jersey.

If you are into snowboarding at all you will know that it hosts quite serious competition in freestyle with all top stars from the USA and Canada every year.

Danny Kass (3rd at last Olympics) came from that place.... but he is in California these days if I am not wrong.