Note to New Members ×

Rossi Race VAS 168 vs Rossi Throttle 167, and which Donek to buy?

hangten247

Hi! I'm looking for opinions, I currently own the Race VAS 167 with TD 1's and like it. Of course, after coming off of (feel free to flame away!) Supermodel 173 with Race Plates and Burton Reactors, anything is an improvement! I'm 6'3 245lbs and hope to drop 20-25 lbs, and I know how to carve a turn. Now, I ride in the East (New England) .Unfortunately, right now, I only get to ride a handful of days a season, hopefully that will change in the future. I don't race. I've been carving for 15 years, skiied and raced another 15 years before that, and I'm purely a recreational carver. How does the throttle model differ from the race? The race model I have is red whiite and blue, and the throttle is a grapic that is primarily red. I was thinking about gettting the Throttle as a back up board, as I cant spring for a Donek quite yet to make the Race my back up board. What would be a decent choice in a Donek board?

sounds to me like an Axis would be a good ride for you, altho youre a bit on the heavy side.

just based on coming from a supermodel, and then the rossi boards which are a bit wider, no?

but...depending on your local hill...if you have some narrow slopes then sidecut radius might be a big factor.

?

Originally posted by D-Sub

sounds to me like an Axis would be a good ride for you, altho youre a bit on the heavy side.

Heavy? Compared to what? :D I guess I'd have to shell out $$ for a custom that has stiffer flex?

just based on coming from a supermodel, and then the rossi boards which are a bit wider, no?

Actually, the supermodel is a big long freestyle/ freeride board, not an alpine board. Has a decent stiffness and decent sidecut for what it is, but night and day compared to a true alpine board. Although the Supermodel is narrow for a freeride board, it is wider than the Rossi.

but...depending on your local hill...if you have some narrow slopes then sidecut radius might be a big factor.

Reason I slipped in New England is because of the whole sidecut radius thing. I'm worried about being able to carve in/around traffic when necessary, and negotiating trails in New England can be typically narrower and winding to out west. Given the choice, I like going fast and corduroy. I need to get a better grasp about the right radius. I have no particular favorite spot. On my budget and time constraints, it could end up being Spore-Chusett a few nights a week, although on road trips I like riding in Maine and Northern VT.

Originally posted by Chris Houghton

Everyone has their own opinion. Having said that, I liked the Throttle more than the Race, so it would be a great backup board if you like the Race. Should be cheap too, as they are getting pretty old now.

I guess I should have been more specfic. Is the throttle a softer or stiffer than the race? Is the sidecut radius about the same? Is the width about the same? I was wondering if they were basically the same board but with a different name and graphic. I can pick one up for about 150 with Burton race plates.