Note to New Members ×

Engineering major?

Arclite

To add to a lot of good advice already presented here...

A solid understanding of Math will make engineering, or any other technical field (any field in which the truth of a proposition can be determined by physical measurement and testing) much easier to learn. Be honest with yourself while taking math classes - if you don't really understand something, study it more, ask for help and practice it as necessary until you are certain you really understand it. You may be able to sail along with A- and B+ grades in HS, CC and average colleges, thinking you are getting it because you are passing (graded on a generous curve in a feeble population), but you'll find it very heavy going when you start having to quickly grasp ideas that are expressed in mathematical terms and are graded against serious and gifted students who really get it. Keep up or ahead. If you get behind, everything gets harder.

The field has room for a fair number of mediocre practitioners, but they tend to get the boring work and/or kill people once in awhile. Usually not more than once....

If you're a decent musician, you already know how important it is to master the fundamentals and how much practice it can take, both individually and ensemble. Engineers who can follow the score and/or jam are invaluable.

Don't forget to have a life - sports, culture, sex and politics are all perfectly valid things to pursue. Go for things that stimulate your mind and don't tend to wreck your body too fast. Don't worry about being overly intense about your interests and studies if you feel you are surrounded by slackers who don't understand you. You will meet more people like you as you grow and expand your world. They will prove to be much more interesting.

I am surprised by the number of fellow engineers posting here, I wonder if there is something about carving that attracts us to it?

- Greg

Becoming a decent carver involves an understanding of engineering, math. and physics. If we can apply some of these skills into a fun passionate hobby like carving it is no wonder that we have a high percentage of members from this field.

Like the others said, math and science is very important as a decent foundation. But take this sincere WARNING: DO NOT take so much as to OVERLOAD yourself on math/science and thus burn out on the sciences before you even begin....that happens often. It is important to get good grades to get into a decent engineering school, a 'D' or an 'F' in AP Physics is not nearly as good, in the eyes of an admissions director, as an 'A' in regular physics, don't forget...so don't overload. You'll have plenty of time to take advanced courses in college, but you'll need to get IN to a good college, first.

In today's competitive admissions market, you'll need to put yourself above the masses...you can do this by taking part in extra-curricular math/science activities. Often, winning noted science competitions, be they local, state-wide or nation-wide, with innovative ideas is MORE important than grades...IF the admissions dept. is imaginative and forward-thinking. And if they are not, you might want to think about applying elsewhere.

I REALLY stress an OUTSIDE interest in the math/sciences. Become aware of the JOY of taking things apart and trying to rebuild them...investigate how they work, doesn't matter if you get them together right again, that's what cardboard boxes are for!! What you are doing is training your mind in the powers of both observation and innovation by taking everyday objects apart and trying to build them better or at least finding out HOW and WHY they work.

The great thing about learning theory is that it can be done ANYWHERE. Immerse yourself at home with science and math...there is much learning you can do on your own, afterschool. Wikipedia is GREAT!! Use it. Newton...Leibniz...Kepler...Heisenberg...it's all there, and it's ALL beautiful...the IMPLICIT JOY of LEARNING IS BEAUTIFUL!!! Immerse yourself in it, and you will find a new universe of thought. I LOVED science and math as a kid...I built my own 10" newtonian reflector telescope when I was 12...and used to sneak out and look at the constellations and the rings of Saturn at 03:30 AM with school coming up THAT morning. NEVER FORGET THE LOVE AND UTTER JOY OF LEARNING.

Science is LESS about absolute, categorical knowledge for it's own sake, and MORE about the joy of learning and creating. Enginnering is about applying those learned scientific/mathematical principles to make an idea work.

And most important: ASK QUESTIONS !!....always!! Drive your teachers CRAZY with questions! I DID !! Think outside the box....that is not just a slogan on t-shirts...it is an endeavor.

Good luck.

Ideas are free....will is sometimes taxed.