Note to New Members ×

UPZ boot/binding interface

trikerdad

This is an email I sent to Dan Yoja about UPZ's

Dan, I bought a pair oif UPZ's (mondo 29.5) from you a few weeks ago and would like to talk to you about how they interface (or don't) with my bindings. I have four different bindings, TD 1 standards, TD 1 step-ins, TD 2 step-ins and an old pair of Sims race. The UPZ's wouldn't fit anything except the Sims Bindings. I got them to go into the TD 2's by placing stainless shims between the lugs and toe blocks, but it looked like there was no way I would be able to use them in my other bindings. Today I spent some time in my shop trying to figure out how to solve this problem. What I came up with is, I switched the heel bails from the TD 1 standards with the toe bails from the TD 1 step-ins. I had to do a little bending on both of them but now the UPZ's work in all my bindings and my old Raichle's still work as well. I like the UPZ's and was in quite a dilemma about what to do. I can't be the only one with this problem and was wondering if you've had any other complaints. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that although I was pretty disappointed at first, I've managed to work things out. Bill

I have intec heels on these boots or they would work with TD 1 standards. Without the intec's the heel bails are a tight fit but, with the intec's, it makes the heel bails too short.

Guest Randy S.

They must have changed the boots from the old model. I have last year's model (silver gray with glow-in-the-dark yellow) and they fit fine in my TD2 Step-ins. They also worked fine with my F2 Titanflex bindings. Did Yoja reply? I've heard of people getting out the dremel on their boots before. Maybe you need to do that? Or is it just user error?

They do work in the TD 2's, just a little tight. I thought about taking the hi-speed to the boots, but opted for the thin stainless washer between the lugs and toe block. It was just enough. As for not using the swapped bails, I'm not an idiot. they are making solid contact with both the heels on the TD 1 standards and the toes on the TD 1 step-ins. I have already ordered replacement bails in case they break, but that is the only way they would fail, and I didn't bend them that much.

Since Bob designed the bindings Id be hesitant to question his suggestions.

btw...triker...on the way up to bend last weekend we drove by shasta

OH.

MY.

GOD.

that is a spectacle! Im a bit surprised there arent more lifts there, to be honest!

the town of shasta seems to be quite full of granolas and new-age types. Is there some "holiness" to shasta?

sure was impressive!

Yeah, it has more than it's share of undyed wool. It's a college town and I'm sure Kerry will get most of the votes there. It is too bad there isn't a better place for a ski park there. The first one was high up on the side of the mountain, but got wiped out several times by avalanches.

Here's a pic of the heel of the TD 1 standards. The angles measure the same as the stock bails, both on the standard heel and the step-in toe, it's just that one is longer to the bend and the other is shorter. If I don't make it to SES 05, which I already have reservations for, you'll know I had a catastrophic failure.

post-867-141842199011_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by trikerdad

Yeah, it has more than it's share of undyed wool. It's a college town and I'm sure Kerry will get most of the votes there. It is too bad there isn't a better place for a ski park there. The first one was high up on the side of the mountain, but got wiped out several times by avalanches.

yeah, I figured it was a bit dangerous up there. quite steep! but man...just such an awesome spectacle

private heli, anyone?

hmm. ill post on the result of this interface. ive brought in the UPZ boots and looks like it'd work fine with the TD2 step ins. I haven't bought the regular bindings, and could give it a shot with those new boots. Gonna go ride at Copper this Friday. Is anyone plannin' to ? I may be unable to cuz of meeting at Vail human resources, unfortunely. -sigh-