Note to New Members ×

Can I use TD1 with Vist plate? and...

Maciek

Do i need those donoughts under toe and heel?

It feels like their original purpose is void when using system like this. on the other hand my perception is that role of Vist system is what it used to be dougnught and bumpers?

Correct me if i am wrong. I also see that Hangl has a lot of metal along edge which I feel is against the idea I understood. Hence Vist to my understanding has advantage. Anyway those who have more mechanics and physics background on this: could you help?

I still think about coming back to carving after 5-6 years break ;)

Have good runs :)

If you can, toss the TD1s and get a pair of F2s as a cheap replacement. The Bomber TD3 Sidewinder might be a more expensive option.

IMO TD1s are not a very good binding at all. I'm sure your mileage may vary, but they are pretty much the exact opposite of modern binding design(s).

Good luck! Enjoy the Vist!

greg

If you can, toss the TD1s and get a pair of F2s as a cheap replacement. The Bomber TD3 Sidewinder might be a more expensive option.

IMO TD1s are not a very good binding at all. I'm sure your mileage may vary, but they are pretty much the exact opposite of modern binding design(s).

Good luck! Enjoy the Vist!

greg

They worked for me for years ;) I wonder if I need to spend few thousands of $$$ to restart the hobby or I could use my sets of old bindings... and perhaps even boards (Doneks, Oxygens...). I have new helmet though ;)

I also have F2 race bindings and they were too flimsy for my riding style (good for my wife though).

Are they so cheap today? I saw them for $300 somewhere online. Years ago I paid for them $150 when getting from Bluetomato (Austria) and they do not seem to change that much from those days.

Anyway anybody tried that setup with TD1 while distributing pressure with plastic from those "damper" systems?

BTW I saw TD3 Sidewinders and I love what Fin's team developed. I would love to have them... but that's just half price of my new competition wheels for autocrossing that I am getting serious (some results in the USA region and clubs now after few years). I am not sure if I am so serious about getting tons of new carving equipment to refresh the old one if it is good enough for hobby.

Have good runs

The vist plates purpose is to allow the board to flex more evenly as the plate is only locked to the board at one point, be it front, middle or rear.

The binding still has to act as a binding, yes use the bumpers.

The plate is only 1/2" tall off the board and dampening is not it's purpose, the fact that it dampens a little is a plus.

What the plate does beside decouple the binding from the board is to give your body a solid platform that doesn't twist between your feet as you carve...

jmho,ymmv

The purpose of bumps on binding (TD1) is transfer forces so to unload mounting points to the board. Otherwise the binding was tearing inserts from the board. When the binding (TD1) is on aluminum plate isolated from from the board by some decoupling system I wonder if you still need to use them. I am not talking about polyurethane insulators used in TD2 and TD3 bindings.

Again TD1 bumper's purpose was not really that much of dampening as to distributing pressure points when flexing along binding (laterally relative board). Bear in mind that bumpers sat only under heel and toe of the binding while all aluminum base plate was sitting hard on the insert area.

Well, comparing to TD2 (I rode them few years ago) this was a major difference as TD2 and TD3 have a lot of dampening from polyuretane laid under base plate. I think TD1 bumpers were meant for dampening, but they did not have as big effect as dampening in TD2 (and perhaps TD3 as I understand, but never have ridden on them). Hence TD1 pressure points were effectively what was happening.

Having that said if I was to use metal board like Kessler with rubber dampening built into it and then flex control system that has sideeffect of dempening would I still need to have extra pressure changing bumpers? Would they work at all? Would flex system threads in those aluminum plates were at any risk of stripping?

I know the best way is to throw pocket cash and get TD3 Sidewinders and that's what I would do ;)... but I can't now :(