Note to New Members ×

Mt Shasta Report

trikerdad

Got in my third day of riding today. Snow was good on Marmot side but too many rocks around the tower on Snowshoe and on the bottom of Challenge. Went over to the Douglas chair and was surprised to find good coverage on the West Saddle and Highland. The snow at the top was very good with a few icy patches lower down on Highland. I'll be back up again on Wednesday after the promised dump on Tuesday and Tuesday night.

Wednesday the 30th: they opened the Douglas chair about 8:20 this morning and I rode with Redding Rick until about 11:30. Shasta didn't get as much snow as hoped for but, 6 inches of new covered most of the thin spots enough so I think I can put away my rock board. It was cold and crisp and, except for being a little soft, great carving snow. Robert, where were you?

Well, when they didn't update the snow report before I left this morning, I should have known. If you don't have a good report, just leave the one from yesterday. It must have rained yesterday afternoon as there was dirt showing through in places and the snow was hard as a rock. I wouldn't call it icy, as it held an edge well, but was bumpy and very fast. It would have been okay except that by 9:10 the place was already packed with people and a wait in the lift lines. I decided to make it an extra short day and headed home.

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a long "dry" spell but, I got back on the mountain today. At least 2 feet of heavy wet "powder" to ride my Tanker 200 in. The problem was the vis was terrible. Foggy and heavy snow fall. The first few runs were okay because it was deep and untracked. As long as you didn't hit a tree, not being able to see didn't seem to matter. But, once it was "cratered", not being able to see wasn't so much fun. In the 2 1/2 hours I was there, it snowed at least 5 inches and didn't show any signs of letting up.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been up a couple of times since my last post but there was nothing special to report. Today was different. Beautiful weather, good grooming, not too crowded and hero snow. Had a great day with one top to bottom Highland run after another. I had to quit when my knee started getting sore. I'll be back up tomorrow! It seemed that most of the people there were more "mature", not a lot of kids. I spent a lot of time thanking people for compliments on my riding and answering questions about my equipment and carving. I just put my stash of Bomber cards back in my coat pocket. Hope to see some other carvers on the hill.

Had another great day today. Robert showed up and we caught first chair on Marmot for a couple warm up runs. The snow was pretty warm and and the groomers left some surprises in a couple of places. I let him play with my G meter for several runs and he bettered my best 1.23 from Thursday with a 1.52. It was cold enough that the snow started getting kind of icy so we headed over to Douglas to see what it was like over there. Completely different conditions with perfect carving snow. I managed to pull 1.32 g's but since I couldn't do any better than that I told Robert that since he's 32 and I'm 64, he had to more than double my numbers to beat me.

A quick note from Aspen. Been having a great time. Check out the WCS thread on the Carving Forum. Today, Tuseday, is an off day for SES. A lot of people are riding today anyway but, I took the day off. Spent a couple of hours in a local gym so I can't say I'm resting. Bomber has G-Lab meters they've been loaning out and so far nobody has beat my best of 1.56 G's. Robert, if you read this, it means you now have to pull 3.12 to beat me, being you're half my age. I'll even go easy on you and let you try to double my 1.07 sustained with a 2.14 maximum.:smashfrea

A quick note from Aspen. Been having a great time. Check out the WCS thread on the Carving Forum. Today, Tuseday, is an off day for SES. A lot of people are riding today anyway but, I took the day off. Spent a couple of hours in a local gym so I can't say I'm resting. Bomber has G-Lab meters they've been loaning out and so far nobody has beat my best of 1.56 G's. Robert, if you read this, it means you now have to pull 3.12 to beat me, being you're half my age. I'll even go easy on you and let you try to double my 1.07 sustained with a 2.14 maximum.:smashfrea

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MY REPLY: Interesting, what does a meter like that look like ? , and hows it work ?

• 1 month later...

Went up today to check out what the conditions were like after being in SoCal for the last week. Lots of racers but not many others. The grooming on Douglas was terrible, like the groomers made a quick pass and concentrated on the terrain park and the race course. I went over to Marmot where the grooming was world class. It should be good again tomorrow if it didn't get too warm today.

I went back up again this morning. The snow was firm and fast but the grooming on the Douglas side was still pretty bad. I went over to the Marmot side where the grooming was still good but the very flat light made it a little scary. I rode until a lot of little kids showed up and caused the chair to run slow and stop often. I'm done until maybe next week sometime.

I took a chance this Sunday morning that it wouldn't be too crowded at the park today and arrived in the parking lot about 8:15, and yes I did set my clocks ahead last night. They opened the lifts at 8:45 and I caught first chair on Marmot for a couple of warm up runs. What at a beautiful day. Blue sky, sunshine, and low temps since the last dump. It was hero carving conditions. I quickly headed over to the Douglas chair and had a blast on Highland. I would have come down The Face the conditions were so good but, the skiers were bombing it from top to bottom and, I didn't want to get run over by someone going 70 mph! It was already pretty warm when I left at 11:00 and I see that it got up to 50 later in the day. Unless it stays above freezing tonight, it'll be icy tomorrow morning.

Friday was really nice IF you were brave enough :eplus2: It was an evil kind of fast and icy... very fun and easy edge hold, but fast. I took the skwal out for the day and had an unmeasurable amount of fun... Gotta love it :biggthump

1.43 Max

1.31 Sustained

The high speed and turns pulling it tight helped my #'s on the skwal which is harder to get high G's on.