Note to New Members ×

Wolf Creek

jp1

Wolf Creek. I'm curious as to what the deal on Wolf Creek? It seems to be the only area in Colorado Open 100%, Is it 'Carver Friendly' or not? Certain areas are just not laid as Boarder Friendly and are a pain to negotiate thru the trail systems, is this the case with WC, don't seem to hear anything about it ?

Just wondering, jp1

Wolfie isn't setup that great for carving. There are some runs on the frontside that you could carve just fine on and they do some grooming but Wolfie is all about the waterfall area and searching for powder stashes. They've got the most natural snowfall in Colorado every year for as long as I've been boarding. I think the only place where you could get a better powder fix would be at Silverton.

As far as issues with the layout of the mountain and being "boarder friendly" I'd say negative on either of those. It's laid out pretty well and you won't have any issues boarding out there.

I think the biggest reason Wolf Creek doesn't get much press is because it's not very accessible to the normal tourist crowd. It's right in the middle of southern Colorado and there aren't any major cities even close to it. I mean most people that fly into Colorado probably will just go west of Denver and choose from the dozens of major resorts there. If you're looking to check it out Wolfie is a little under five hours driving from the Albuquerque Airport. I'm not sure how far it is from Denver.