Note to New Members ×

Newbee gettin started

Petrie

Good evening all,

I must say, I am stoked for my first post. I have been soft bootin it for 15 years now and have been reading this forum and going to bomberonline for 2 years and ready to get something started. I have obtained some information from the threads over the 2 year stint but am unclear on board to weight ratio. Here is the kicker. I am a pretty large guy a need serious guidance.

I am 6'4, 250 pounds with a size 14 boot. My local resort is ice coast Virginia and am sure most of you have seen bigger driveways than my trails but I do travel within the east coast which are not much better. So my question is what size and type of board would suit me. I do like the Prior all mountain style.

I drive a 168 Burton Canyon now and does well. Of course I am a husband on a budget but with all of my hobbies I like to buy the best I can get. I would like to start with boots and bindings and work my way to the board. Can I start with this on my board?

Thank you all and look forward to threadin with you.

Much thanks. I did get some info from that. So did you go from step-ins to standards(by the picture)? What seems to be your preference? I too have that issue of more lift that hill time where I am. I assume bigger is not necessarily better board wise. I don’t know anything about the geometry of this stuff like radius, side cut. Does this play a factor or just stiff as you can get?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

I bought some standards for a good price and I will convert them to step ins this season.

As for your other questions I suggest the following reading:

http://www.alpinecarving.com/boards.html#stiff

The Carver's Almanac is a great resource.

I've ridden a lot of snowboards over the years and I can't say I've ever been on a board that I would consider "stiff" and I think this has to do with our size. We are so far outside of the bell shaped curve... I do have boards that other consider stiff but I wouldn't call them that.

I would like to try a super stiff board just so I know how that feels... I hope to someday make an expression session.

Honestly your foot size is going to be one of your largest hurdles you might ask the people on this thread...

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27438

Foot size & stance angle & board width are all related especially for really large feet like yours!