Note to New Members ×

NADA & KBB, etc...how much built in margin?

bjvircks

I'm looking at used cars and I'm wondering how much bargaining room is built into the calculated "retail seller price". These websites indicate the place to start bargaining at, not the reasonable final sale price. Naturally there are all sorts of subjective factors that can be used to argue either up or down when discussing a specific car, but in general... would you say there is a 5% margin, 10% margin? Would there be different margins for different classes or price range?

We are looking to replace a Honda Civic which has been a real trooper. It is still doing pretty well, but we seem to be having an acceleration in the number, types, and $ of the normal issues of keeping a car going.

We've seen that of the used cars looked at in the area they pretty much have the NADA/KBB guidance as the 'sticker price'.

Should I automatically counter at 20% less?

I'm looking at used cars and I'm wondering how much bargaining room is built into the calculated "retail seller price". These websites indicate the place to start bargaining at, not the reasonable final sale price. Naturally there are all sorts of subjective factors that can be used to argue either up or down when discussing a specific car, but in general... would you say there is a 5% margin, 10% margin? Would there be different margins for different classes or price range?

We are looking to replace a Honda Civic which has been a real trooper. It is still doing pretty well, but we seem to be having an acceleration in the number, types, and $ of the normal issues of keeping a car going.

We've seen that of the used cars lookedShould I automatically counter at 20% less?

take a look at edmunds.com for their true market value calculator. Much more realistic ime.