Note to New Members ×

SB SL Landgraff Report & Results U.S. 5 In Finals

gburgess

SB SL Landgraff Report & Results

U.S. Men two top ten finishers and five in the finals.

Jasey Jay Anderson, Canada third. Great start for him. One more run at the elusive Olympic gold for JC perhaps.

Interesting note: Justin Reiter who lost head-to-head against 2nd place finisher Bozzetto, overall maintained a closer overall time differential to Bozzetto than DuFour (7th) and JC Jay (3rd). So Reiter's 16th place finish does not appear indicate how well he raced in the first round of the finals.

http://www.nessg.com/2009_wild101009.shtml

Very cool! Thanks for the insider information.

From your perspective (I'm presuming you've raced outdoors), what are the noticeable differences and challenges between racing indoors as is the Landgraff case from outdoors?

Does racing indoors feel different in terms of board to surface and the like?

GB

The biggest challeng indoors is getting enough speed to make a decent turn. Most places are so short and flat that getting up to speed is difficult. Other than that it's the same. It's man-made snow after all, just like riding a short flat hill on the east coast where they have to make all their snow....except indoors the snow is usually an off white/dirt color because it is usually pretty old.

@philfell, looks like you're the expert.... ;-)

Allthough I know you've been indoors some times I think I might have an edge on you here....

@gburgess Indoor slopes are generally a little bit less steep. Generating speed, something each good racer knows how to do well, is more important than controlling speed. Outdoors it usually is the other way around, controlling (the highest) speed is key. That doesn't say you don't have enough speed to make a decent turn. It does say that round course do not work as well since they kill some of the downhill speed.

One might say that the importance of generating speed even has impact on the board you would like to ride indoors. A little stiffer is better here since they generate speed more easily.

The snow isn't dirty all the time. New snow is added frequently and every season all old snow will be removed and a new layer is created.