Note to New Members ×

Specific Wheels?

Arclite

So whats the scoop?

Do riders swap out wheels depending on what they are doing?

Do riders have cheep wheels for everyday use then they pull out the nice stuff when they have boarding sessions?

What do you recommend for a square sliding wheel?

(Yes i know, round wheels slide better)

well DH racers like to have new wheels every heat, or so i have been told....this is especially true with Otangs. I have 3-4 sets of wheels that I switch between depending on the hill. Best square lipped soft sliding wheel I have used were Bennett's

well DH racers like to have new wheels every heat, or so i have been told....this is especially true with Otangs.

Deffinatly found that out the hard way today.

My In Heats shredded pretty bad when i looked at them first.

But the more i look, its not as bad.

83a (in case you were wondering.)

Why do you want squares for sliding?

Just buy a new hanger, wheels, and bearings and swap hangers when you want to change wheels. Much easier.

Squares hold more for my carves in between my slides.

Swapping wheels is quick for me.

I have bearings that i'd use on the other wheels

Deffinatly found that out the hard way today.

My In Heats shredded pretty bad when i looked at them first.

But the more i look, its not as bad.

83a (in case you were wondering.)

Unless your wheels look like some of the wheels posted here:

http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/forum/longboard-skateboarding-wheels-bearings/48581-show-me-abused-wheels.html

they're probably not that bad and are just part of normal wear and tear.

As for my wheels, I have more wheels mainly from wanting to try new wheels out and seeing what's out there. Aside from that, I just use whatever I feel like.

The only time i really bust out specific wheels is if i'm going for an LDP ride or I'm gonna dodge cones, both of which I suck at but try doing anyways.

Squares hold more for my carves in between my slides.

Swapping wheels is quick for me.

I have bearings that i'd use on the other wheels

I think it's a better compromise to get grippy roundlips than to try and slide sqaures. That's why most "freeride" wheels are round, and you see plenty of fast DH carves. Based on your past few videos, I think you should just work on getting your riding to a higher point before concerning yourself with stuff like this.

Gecko might have more input on that concept.

Ehhh, I don't think it really matters THAT much. I'm in no way a slider nor do I claim to be an expert on it, but most downhill riders use 2 to 3 kinds of wheels in competitions, and they're all square lipped.

In Heat Orangatangs

Retro BigZigs

Seismic Speedvents (these are the least popular)

I know people also ride

Abec 11 Flywheels, but I think that's more for fun and rarely do I see them used in competition races.

People were also using Gumballs, Grippins, 4presidents, and a number of other square lipped wheels for downhill. Technique almost always trumps gear, but the proper gear makes it easier to get away with bad technique and get results early on while first learning.

Ehhh, I don't think it really matters THAT much. I'm in no way a slider nor do I claim to be an expert on it, but most downhill riders use 2 to 3 kinds of wheels in competitions, and they're all square lipped.

In Heat Orangatangs

Retro BigZigs

Seismic Speedvents (these are the least popular)

I know people also ride

Abec 11 Flywheels, but I think that's more for fun and rarely do I see them used in competition races.

People were also using Gumballs, Grippins, 4presidents, and a number of other square lipped wheels for downhill. Technique almost always trumps gear, but the proper gear makes it easier to get away with bad technique and get results early on while first learning.

Well im on In Heats right now. 83a purple.

I like them a lot, but sliding on asphault chews them up quickly.

I've decided to only use them when im doing parking structure sessions.

My dad's riding 97mm Flywheels on the big daddy board.

He likes them, but he doesn't slide.

And Theo, that video is way obselete.

I have no doubt i can ride down that street in san fran sliding most of the way down.