Note to New Members ×

Swim Floats or Yoga Blocks Material

Chubz

Anyone know what kind of foam is used for the foam pads you see on kids floaty belts at the YMCA, kick boards or the yoga blocks?

Working on a side project and that kind of foam would suite the purpose. Trying to find a large block of it instead of paying for pricier individual blocks. Gotta cut it up to shape.

Or any other fairly rigid yet pliable foam? It cant squish only slightly dent if kneeled on but still maintain primary form.

Thx

Greg

EVA is generally the sort of stuff kickboards are made from.

The petrochemical companies send lobbyists to San Diego schools every once in a while; I've actually learned a lot, not only about plastics, but at how good lobbyists are at not being wrong, even if they aren't right.

How large do the blocks need to be before you hack them up?

What characteristics do you need in the material. Do you need open cell, closed cell, stiff, compliant, stiffness stable over a specific temperature range, etc. From the brief description given it sounds like you might like some of the scrap packing materials we have around work. A moderately stiff closed cell polyolefin (has a slightly waxy feeling).

There are various stiffnesses laying around in the recycling carts around the complex. Should I chop off some samples?

When I need that type of foam for fitting out kayaks, I often find what I need in Good Will or charity stores. Those large step exercise blocks are common donated items.

I have a shelf in the garage where I store a bunch of different kinds of foam and padding materials, to use for kayaks, helmets, ski boots etc.

BobD

The foam need to partially support the weight of an adult male knee in a kneeling position. Be stiff enough that it doesnt collapse but soft enough for it to shape to the knee. Hoping to have a triangular shape about 4-6" tall, 2-3" wide and 3-4 " deep

I would imagine a closed cell with a nice feel to it. Thats why float foam came to mind when I had the boys at the pool the othr night. Stiff, good feel, right shape and soft enough to absorb a boney knee without collapse.

I was thinking of taking two of those swim float blockss and gluing them together then shape as needed for the prototype.

see here.

http://www.swimmingmatters.ca/learning-to-swim-swim-aids/water-gear-eva-foam-belt-floats-2.html

Dont want to say what it is until I proceed further.

Thanks

Greg

Nice find, now that gave me some ideas for some other concepts for the proto. Can you buy the rachet and band like the one on the back piece (snowboard bindings)http://kayakoutfitting.com/kobuild1/backband.html. where the rachet and band (~15") are one piece and the band can feed back into its own rachet?

If I wanted to bind the foam and rachet around a pole or something like that.

Thanks again

Does the band need to have a ratcheting mechanism or would a velcro strap work? I've used a lot of simple straps that consist of long strap of 'pile' that has a short length of 'hook' at one end. At the other end of the strap is a ring. To use the strap you put it around whatever you need to fasten, put the hook end thru the ring, cinch up the strap and press the hook section to the pile. For applications that need higher tensil strength the velcro is sewn to nylon webbing... think power strap or booster strap on boots.