Note to New Members ×

Snow in Mammoth

KingCrimson

mammoth is looking pretty sad now a days....

12"-36" :(

It's the middle of June... Save the gas money and buy or make yourself a longboard or go surfing.

Longboarding = no gas to pay, no lift tickets...

Surfing = no lift tickets and possibly very little gas depending on where you live

It's the middle of June... Save the gas money and buy or make yourself a longboard or go surfing.

Longboarding = no gas to pay, no lift tickets...

Surfing = no lift tickets and possibly very little gas depending on where you live

You didn't see my new summerstick?

finished it last sunday.

post-7736-141842283132_thumb.jpg

post-7736-141842283133_thumb.jpg

Today we hiked the route we are going to ascend on skis at Mt. High. (assuming it ever snows again, which is should, theoretically an El Nino is brewing)

Very quick and painless 2.5 miles and 900 vert on windy singletrack..I was crying for my bike on the way down but that won't be a problem in winter. There was still quite a bit of snow up there in the more sheltered trails, not anything worth touching a board to, but real snow..

Anyone do the full length of the 2 before? Definitely recommend it, one of the most scenic drives you'll ever find with a HUGE surprise view towards the end.

From your location of choice, hit the 15 north to 138 West to the 2 (only one direction on the 2 from there) and it's around 60 miles and you get spit out right next to the LA resevoir. You end up covering the full extent of the San Gabriels, passing all three Mt High ski areas, Kratka Ridge, (ghost resort, very much worth stopping and looking at) Waterman, "The Patch" which is a glacier (take the name seriously), and the most incredible views of all your favorite San Gabriel mountains (except Mt. Baldy).

Very much worth it no matter how much you guys dislike the San Gabriel resorts!

Yeah, i saw the board in the longboarding grip tape thread - major props to your dad, awesome cut on the board, i really like the swallowtail reference in the back. Any flex to teh board, or more of a solid stick?

You should look into some randal rII trucks 180s. much improved. they don't look as nice as Paris trucks, but they're the real deal. That and you have a wider option of base plates to use. Great trucks for carving. Oh, and don't forget the Venom bushings - they rule.

Throw on some Bigzigs or Hotspots/73mm speedvents from seismic or abec11 and you're good to go. And please, for all the posers out there, don't get orangatang wheels - too much hype, i'm sure they're good, but i can't bring myself to spend money on them...

KC - did about 35-40 miles of hiking last week with a 30 pound pack - not just flat land either, went from sea level up to about 2900 feet. Great weekend of camping, but my knee wasn't so happy toward the end. I had to get all the walking and standing out of my system before the surgery hehe.

Yeah, i saw the board in the longboarding grip tape thread - major props to your dad, awesome cut on the board, i really like the swallowtail reference in the back. Any flex to teh board, or more of a solid stick?

You should look into some randal rII trucks 180s. much improved. they don't look as nice as Paris trucks, but they're the real deal. That and you have a wider option of base plates to use. Great trucks for carving. Oh, and don't forget the Venom bushings - they rule.

Throw on some Bigzigs or Hotspots/73mm speedvents from seismic or abec11 and you're good to go. And please, for all the posers out there, don't get orangatang wheels - too much hype, i'm sure they're good, but i can't bring myself to spend money on them...

You might have to school me on longboard parts and which are good/bad.

Just came back from rocketing down the near by hill.

There's a new hole in my back pocket from my "braking" skills.

I know when my trucks were new, the bushing were really stiff, now they are nice and soft :D

Oh yeah, its really flexy.

Randal R2s in an appropriate hanger width, Bigzigs, and Bones Reds come together as a bit of a standard setup for a cruisy carvy board. Cheap and effective.

Get a pile of bushings too.

And keep an eye on your kingpin (hex bolt on the bottom of the truck) the bushing shouldn't have broken down very much unless it's a real POS.

All polymers are made of little "strings" of molecules. When you stress a polymer, the bonds that hold the molecules break apart. If you take a popsicle stick, or any thin piece of wood and bend it enough that it crackles but doesn't actually break apart, you are breaking little bonds holding the fiber in the wood together. This is the same idea, the little strings of plastic in your polyurethane bushings are breaking apart, making the whole thing weaker and therefore softer. It seems like this happened a bit prematurely though, which is why I would keep an eye on your kingpin tension.

All polymers are made of little "strings" of molecules. When you stress a polymer, the bonds that hold the molecules break apart. If you take a popsicle stick, or any thin piece of wood and bend it enough that it crackles but doesn't actually break apart, you are breaking little bonds holding the fiber in the wood together. This is the same idea, the little strings of plastic in your polyurethane bushings are breaking apart, making the whole thing weaker and therefore softer. It seems like this happened a bit prematurely though, which is why I would keep an eye on your kingpin tension.

I haven't noticed it change at all lately, i think it just needed to be riden once or twice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Dump you say??

Or do you mean a slight dusting. Or maybe a dash?

My toilet got a dump today... :lol:

Any word from Bruce on your X2? I still need to contact him and make sure i'm set and ready in line for my custom build around November/December.

Yeah yeah... ;)

Uhhh...not worrying about it for now.

Still need the money....

but i know im in line.

He's got my specs.