Note to New Members ×

Choc 175 Race Series carbon – review

BlueB

So, I’m the lucky new owner of a rare (in N America) Choc race board…

Mine was built for an aggressive 165lbs racer, stiff for him, in his own words. It feels just fine for me at 180-185lbs.

Specs

L 175; W 19; SCR ~11.5

Flex: medium – stiff tail and nose, softer in between the bindings

Just by eye-balling the side cut, it looks somewhat progressive (tighter at the tail)…

Looks and Craftsmanship

Beautiful, as every carbon twill top sheet board! White and silver graphics are minimallistic enough to not distract from beauty of the material. Hi-gloss finish is spotless. Very god craftsmanship, I would say. Nano-carbon base feels very fast, too.

Nose is nicely shaped (not too small) with medium rise, somewhat like classic Priors.

Ride

Test conditions: Compact wet snow, some hard groom and afternoon slush.

Feels a lot softer when you get it to speed then on the hand flex.

Snappy but smooth enough. Not very damp (which I didn’t want it to be), but doesn’t chatter either.

It is a very stance-centric board – likes to be ridden in the middle (softer in between the bindings?). When I tried to ride the nose the tail wandered around a bit. Stack into the rail like a knife when I stayed centered. Tail is hooky but not locked-in to the point of no return. When you load the tail at the end of the turn it pops with ease into air-born transitions. Very quick edge to edge. It is possible to EC on this board too. Although it is a “baby” GS board, it is hoot to push it into quick SL turns on flatter terrain – it releases a lot of energy and accelerates, with pop in transitions. It rode the afternoon slush way better then you would expect from a narrow stiff board.

I still have to test it on ice or frozen hardpack.

Verdict

Very fun freecarve board! A poor man’s Virus, I guess.

post-1678-141842281947_thumb.jpg

post-1678-141842281948_thumb.jpg

post-1678-14184228195_thumb.jpg