Note to New Members ×

Mammoth May 8-10?

Sinecure

Anyone going to be there the weekend of Mothers Day?

I'm schlepping down to meet up with some friends from the TGR forum for the weekend. We've declared Saturday to be Long Board Day. Shortest snowboard allowed is 200cm, shortest skis 210cm. I'll be there with one board and one pair of skis that fit the bill. Lunacy will likely ensue.

I plan to camp unless I can find a free place to crash since I'm too broke to pay for digs.

I imagine we will begin/end each day at that lift / bar near the bottom of Stump Alley (aka Mill Cafe?).

I'll probably do some sort of backcountry thing on Friday, location and details tbd, although Virginia Lakes was fun last time I was there. Since I'm short one hand these days (broke it a few weeks ago), I'll probably stick to places where self-arrest isn't likely to be needed and climbing is relatively easy with only one pole.

Who else is going to be there? Anyone want to let me stay in their place for free/beer?

I'll be driving down with friends during the day Thursday. Definitely get there in time for cocktails Thursday evening. Also need to figure out where we're going BC on Friday. For me its going to need to be someplace where I can boot pack it right from the car. Even though I have skins, I have a broken hand (I'll be the one in a pink cast - should be easy to spot) so I can't skin/pole. I'll either ski or board on Friday, I'll probably make that call when I see the snow conditions wherever we're going. I'm thinking that something up around Tioga will be good since we can just park and walk up. I'm out of shape from a month plus of couch surfing so its likely to be a lightweight day with one or two laps followed by beers and yummy food at Mo-mart.

Saturday and Sunday look like in-resort days. Meeting spot will be the base of Stump Alley both in the parking lot and at the bar/restaurant there. Friday afternoon and/ore Saturday afternoon are likely to include a trip to one or another of the hot tubs south of the airport.

See you guys there.

I just got this friday off, so I will be there Friday and Saturday.

The snow should be pretty hard in the morning.

Hopefully I'll see another Madd and an Angrry.

Awesome! Would you mind burning me that video again if you have the chance?

See you up there!

Got the 180 to try out too.

Friday afternoon and/ore Saturday afternoon are likely to include a trip to one or another of the hot tubs south of the airport.

If you are referring to the Hot Creek area where you walk down a paved path to the Hot Springs then you must know that the area is closed to all wading, swimming or whatever else occurs in the water there. Due to recent seismic activity it appears that the water coming up from the bowels of the earth is too hot for swimmers/bathers now. That entire area is surrounded by a fence with no trespassing signs everywhere. There are a few other hot tubs in the area that are not as well known as Hot Creek but finding them in the spring time will be difficult. In the colder months there is always the telltale sign of rising steam to give the hot tub location away.

It has been closed for approx 18 months

I will probably head up this afternoon to escape the fire (I am evacuated and can't get back home anyway).

The Hot Creek down by the airport is fenced off since at least three years now, due to erratic mud eruptions (witnessed one myself).

- Thomas

Trip was a big success!

It was a pleasure meeting and riding with you folks. Thomas gave a good old hardboot rippin' show all over the mountain, and Sinecure showed me and my dad all the good steeps. And of course, George had us covered on the snowboard history lessons!

Thanks again guys!

I can't make it up until next weekend. Can someone post the conditions once they get back in town?

Thanks,

JH

Well I think me and my dad are rippin' up mammoth on memorial weekend. you think you'll be able to come?

And of course, George had us covered on the snowboard history lessons!

Thanks again guys!

as always :lol::lol:

Here's a brief video I shot while testing a new Helmet Cam. Thomas and KingCrimson have cameos. Yep, I was skiing, not carving. I rode the long board the day before, but wanted to ski with the cam so I'd be facing forward and have a bit more control. Plus I really didn't want to fall on my broken hand (see my pink cast near the end of the video).

<object width="400" height="300"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=4641934&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=4641934&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="300"></embed></object><p><a href="

">ContourHD Ski Test</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user486806'>http://vimeo.com/user486806">Sinecure</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Music by the awesome Tahoe artist Darin Talbot. Check out his stuff on iTunes. Old School Rider and Tweaker Shred Master are great tunes.