Note to New Members ×

why should i upgrade my old board?

shaunconnor

hi ,i riding an old freesurf highlander [salom ]160 cm board.its the only board i have ever ridden and havnt seen any demos around here to try.im pretty new at the sport but i am riding this board ok when the conditions are good.im 6 feet tall and only 145 pounds.is this board a good ride for me or what should i be looking for for next winter.[that is if they let me ride still in banff].thank for any info.shaun

A new board will simply ride better and be more fun. Materials and shapes have improved a lot since that board was made. Also at your height you should be on something closer to 170 for longer, easier turns. A 160 is going to want to make a lot of short turns. If you have absolutely fallen in love with the sport and can afford spending ~C$999 for the latest metal technology, it would be worth it. Otherwise check the classifieds here for a nice used Coiler, Prior, Donek, or Madd.

Hopefully someone from your area will respond to this or you can check the BC ride board. Carvers are generally willing to loan out gear to fellow carvers wanting to try stuff. If there's really nobody near you, plan on going to one of the Expression Sessions - I believe the closest one to you is the Oregon one (OES).

Closest one is actually the somewhat informal one-day Nakiska Expression Session organized by Riceball. Though it appears to be more of a get together than a sponsered event of any kind. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Check out Alberta Carving Club on Facebook for more info and carvers as well. It was held January 23rd or something like that this year. Missed it myself but I'd like to head down next year. Of course no demos etc... just riding.... maybe if enough people show up at this over the next couple of years somebody who makes boards would come out with some demos.

Cheers,

Dave. <-- 173cm Coiler Sctubby on order