Note to New Members ×

Park City first-timer

BadBrad

I will be going to the Park City area for the first time. Possible days on the slopes are March 14-17. I will be there with a couple of friends who are skiers. The current plan is to have 2 days at The Canyons, 1 day at Park City Mountain, and 1 day at Snowbird. My friend will be getting discount lift tickets at Canyon Sports on the 13th.

I will probably ride with my skiing friends most of the time, but it would be nice to hook up with some other carvers too. Also, is there any good dedicated hardboot carving instruction available at any of these places?

Also, what are the snow conditions and grooming like out there? My 3 boards are a Prior WCR metal 173, a Prior 4WD 164, and a Madd 158. I'm definitely bringing the WCR metal, and I could probably be happy with it as my only board there. I'm also thinking of bringing the 4WD in case there is powder or if my friends want to do more skiing in the bumps and off-piste. I'll probably leave the Madd 158 at home.

PC is OK, but kind of expensive, crowded on the weekends, and not so good if the temps are warm, which it looks like they are headed back up after this storm today and tomorrow. Canyons gets really crowded too, and same deal with temperature.

There are a few of us that really like Solitude. Good grooming and terrain. There is a snowboard instructor there that rides plates and is a pretty good carver. He said he would be willing to give instruction on plates, but doesn't really get any requests for that (all softies). Can't remember his name, but we see him up there on Sundays. You could ask for the guy that rides plates and talk to him.

As far as it looks right now, there will be at least a couple of us up there on Sunday.

On Saturday I was at Park City and the conditions were pretty good.

Sunday at The Canyons, conditions were okay, but not great.

Monday at Snowbird. Icy in the morning, I didn't like the terrain that much, and my legs were dead from the previous 2 days, so I quit early.

Tuesday at The Canyons. Icy in the am, slushy in the pm. Not good conditions, but I still had fun.

Brad