Note to New Members ×

Help! Board emergency in Lake Tahoe

Flip

Does anyone near Lake Tahoe know of a place that will demo carving boards?

I am up here on day two of a seven day trip and broke my board today. The base of my Arbor A-Frame is delaminating, rendering it un-ridable.

If anyone can help out, it would save my trip, or atleast save me from demo-ing soft boards the rest of the week.

Try posting this over on the www.tahoecarvers.com site. There are lots of guys there that frequent and live near Tahoe

On another note, do you ride Snow Summit at all?? We are having a big hardbooter get together there next Sunday (Jan. 25) It would be great to have another carver there, we are expecting 17 at this point in time.

OOps, I see that you will be in Tahoe for that day, sorry!

Try posting on tahoecarvers.com to see if anybody can help you out. I don't think any place out there demos/rents.

If you can't find anybody else and you don't mind blowing a day or night traveling, you can drive to my house in Richmond, CA (maybe 2.5 hours from North Lake Tahoe, so you will lose 5 hrs total). I have a 167 Donek Axis or a 171 Donek FC1 there you can borrow, though you have to pick it up tomorrow. Wednesday, I'm leaving town. You can mail it back to me or depending on what your route home looks like, drop it off at a friend's.

If not from me, there are people who read tahoecarvers.com who live in Sacramento or Reno, which will save you a bunch of time if they have gear you can borrow.

Or if there are no places to demo, does anyone have an old board in their quiver I could rent/borrow for the rest of the week?

If I was in a position to help I would. Due to the nature of our community, I'm pretty sure you won't end up with an "old" board.

I assume you've been to a repair shop and they won't touch it.

Since I used to live in a ski town, I can offer two ideas.

1. Lift operators (on major lifts) see everyone on the mountain at some point. Ask one of them if any staff members or locals who don't work for the mountain hardboot, and if they know one, would they mind putting you in contact with them. Mountain employees and board / ski bums usually have multiple sets of all kinds of gear.

2. Sashay into the snowboard school and do the same thing, ask if any of the instructors hardboot and if they could put you in contact with them.

When I worked in a resort, I would bend over backward to help a carver in a bind.

later, and good luck,

Dave R.

2. Sashay into the snowboard school and do the same thing, ask if any of the instructors hardboot and if they could put you in contact with them.

That's an interesting idea. If it helps, there are 2-3 instructors at Squaw on hardboots you could ask.

Hey Flip: If you don't mind driving to Sacramento tomorrow to pick up a board, call me, <NUMBER REMOVED>, I have a couple of extra "beater" boards you can use if you don't find anything closer. I live about two hours from Truckee, and work about 1.5 hours from Truckee. But you might be able to find something closer.

Steve

Thanks to everyone for the tons of support. I was not expecting that many responses.

SEJ and Outsider, check your email, or call me (860-961-3758).

Steve, if it doesn't work out with the two above and the instructors at squaw fall through, I will be calling you this evening.

Ken, thanks for the offer, but it looks like I will be able to get a board closer.