Note to New Members ×

Winter hike at Mt. St. Helens. - Need advice

chrisk

Two of us will be flying into Portland to attend OES 2009. I'd like to take a side trip to Mt. St. Helens. Does anyone know of an outfitter/guide service in the area that runs winter hiking day trips? We'll need snow shoes or skis and probably a guide. Any ideas.

It doesn't have to be Mt. St. Helens. A different hiking point of interest between Portland and Bend would also be fine. (Note: I am aware that Mt. St. Helens is somewhat out of the way on the drive between Portland and Bend)

Hey Chris,

Great to hear that we will see you again at OES!

What are your goals for the day trip?

I am unsure of guide services for most of the Volcanoes. I know that Rainier has guided trips, but that is a significant undertaking.

The weather in March is very unpredictable and plans on a specific date to do something at elevation will often not work out very well.

Oregon is a wonderful state and there are quite a few good options if you cannot find a guide. Even if you can, I would have a variety of options just in case the weather is bad at elevation. Something in the mountains and something in the desert and / or at the ocean. If you want more detailed thoughts, just let me know.