Note to New Members ×

taper- how much is enough??

canuckcarver

Bruce is a board builder. From what I hear a damn good one. I am not questioning his ability that is for sure.

Just stating the truth....(In most cases) One doesn't need a new board to ride better, One may just want one.

What I need to do is get a third job so I can keep up with the Jones' :D

JJ

I agree with you on this one. You do not need a new board to ride better but if you are having specific concerns on one and not the other, the board IMO is most likely the culprit. We can all work on technique to improve riding but if the board is a poor design for your weight and style , it will only do so much before you hit the wall, sometimes literally! ( I speak from personal experience on King Crimsons board, a fence actually but thats pretty close to a wall when coming in at speed:eek:)

True the new boards are more costly but the are more work to build too and perform very well so I can see they are going to be around for a while. Give it a year or two and used models should show up. On my boards there is a stiffness # engraved in the serial # so if anyone is ever interested in a used model , email me for specifics. This has been done by many and I for sure have saved a few guys some grief from purchasing an unsuitable board.

I find that for good performance riding a board needs to be within about a 20 lb range otherwise it gets specific to one aspect or another. You can still use it for sure but it will not be too user friendly in a good variety of situtations.

BV

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

( I speak from personal experience on King Crimsons board, a fence actually but thats pretty close to a wall when coming in at speed:eek:)

BV

:lol: That's reassuring.

How much do you weigh Bruce? I have absolutely no problems cranking that board around on bare ice and in slushy stuff too, just takes some guts to wait for it to come around. It was quite pleasant in foot deep mash potatoes too. Maybe I'm just patient with the poor thing, but my riding definitely went a step up with that board..really came alive when OldVolvos gave me some technique help.

:lol: That's reassuring.

How much do you weigh Bruce? I have absolutely no problems cranking that board around on bare ice and in slushy stuff too, just takes some guts to wait for it to come around. It was quite pleasant in foot deep mash potatoes too. Maybe I'm just patient with the poor thing, but my riding definitely went a step up with that board..really came alive when OldVolvos gave me some technique help.

I'm about 180 maybe 185 when I had it. It was good most of the time but if I got sloppy and didn't pressure properly in a bad situation it bounced and I ended up belly sliding. The fence issue was on a toeside belly bounce and when on the 2nd or 3rd chatter from the board, my binding ripped right out of the Hangl plate I was using on it. In that case I just had to ride it out as if I started rolling my still connected leg would have suffered catastrophic failure! Just happened to be heading for a snow fence and stopped just in time. Searched the hill and found the binding parts then walked home with just a good story.

While testing different stiffness boards I can tell user range even if it a bit off my weight by what type of technique I have to use. Getting sloppy or riding a eurocarve style with less edge pressure, stiff boards get unruly and bouncy. Soft board just groove and will not chatter. Go to flatter hills and the soft boards suck while the stiffer ones are more fun to ride. The goal is to hit it just in the middle for best of both worlds.

BV

Yikes Bruce! Good to hear it didn't turn out too badly. I use the Hangl inserts for a leash eyelet and at some point, an on-board camera. I've got about 20 pounds on you, so it's a slightly different weight range. Definitely a missile of a board when you want it to be, and a well mannered carver when you don't.

Yikes Bruce! Good to hear it didn't turn out too badly. I use the Hangl inserts for a leash eyelet and at some point, an on-board camera. I've got about 20 pounds on you, so it's a slightly different weight range. Definitely a missile of a board when you want it to be, and a well mannered carver when you don't.

That definitely helps!

BV