Note to New Members ×

VERY well done article on Evan Tanner

D-Sub

good post, D.

interesting but tragic story.

http://www.spike.com/blog/treasure-hunting-in/67570

eddie vedder ? Into the Wild ?

expect a movie about Evan in the future.

http://www.cagepotato.com/2008/06/25/evan-tanner-considers-retirement/

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBwjaPyqxYc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBwjaPyqxYc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LAuzT_x8Ek&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LAuzT_x8Ek&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vo8DMJXq5s&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vo8DMJXq5s&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

iptesx.jpg

edit:willywhit loves youtube

'tis true, so easy to find great vids, I'm still working on watching the 10 minute one "For a better world. Part 1" , there's also a part 2. Youtube rules !

Mod cleaned this up for me fellas. Please, have some respect. Evan Tanner was a hero of mine. I thought it might be of interest to some here. I know Ken will want to read it and a few others. Just, keep it on topic if you will.

Willie I know you posted some directly related vids...guess they got culled as well. Feel free to re-post.

Again, please...just this once...on topic?

Sorry again, D.

Definitely would like to see this made into an Into the Wild-esque movie. Something about him going into the desert is just as spookie as Alaska. He was my favorite fighter before I got burnt out on UFC; clearly stood out as a unique individual, lots of stuff I didn't know about him in the article.

well, I for one have never died from heat exposure. I think I've had mild heat exhaustion a couple times, but...

flat out...tanner was a bad ass mother****er the likes of which most of us will never be. NOT just because he was a professional fighter. That dude LIVED on the very edge of sanity and comfort...pushed it as far as it can be pushed, and seemed to be coming back from the trip...but nope. gone.

RIP, dude.

I had heat stroke..it was terrible. Thermometer was at 104 in my mouth Super dizzy, the room was spinning, and for some reason I just could not swallow water. Wasn't sweating at all, just cooking. That made it extra bad. Ended up setting up a lawn chair in the shower and turning it to cold. Spent the night like that..

An e-toast to Tanner. A true BAMF.

Tanner was an exceptional fighter, I watched him on UFC. The article was written very well, rather neutral. Not to start a flame war, but the article also describes a guy who was fairly self-indulgent. While he may have been nice to everyone, he was fairly mis-guided and ill fitted to be able to make his way. Boat sunk - that incident shows a complete lack of judgement. The article states (and I derived this) that he can read up and know everything about something. That is like saying he could read everything at Bomber and Carver's Alamanac and go out and not only snowboard but carve the first time. Not too realistic. The desert thing was proof of his death. People die in the desert all the time from doing the same thing he did, and his research should have showed him that. It's like showing up at the mountain in a tee-shirt, cut-offs and tennis shoes to go skiing or boarding. And the alcohol? The man was depressed and needed treatment.

Props to Tanner for his acheivements, but his lack of judgement was fairly glaring, his depression was obvious.

Just my humble opinion.

Rick

people are flawed, dude. extraordinary people are often quite flawed. Tanner was a complete **** up in many ways

he wasn't even nice to everyone. he took advantage of people, owed money, caused problems when drinking etc...

FAR from perfect, and FAR from easy to deal with from what I've read, but...in death, don't we celebrate what was good about a man? Unless he transgressed unforgivably, do we not forgive him and shine the light on his good side?

I don't think anyone was insinuating that he was able to read a book and be an expert, but...in all honesty, considering the fact that he was both ski and snowboard instructor in his life, he could probably figure out how to ride a carving board.

Hell...Id been snowboarding for five years, had never had a single lesson and could carve pretty darn good my very first day on a hardboot setup.

You did catch the part about him having stopped drinking, completely, right?

I know you didn't mean offense, but you post seems unnecessary to me.

Sorry. Truely didn't mean to diminish his accomplishments in any way. The article tho clearly describes a depressed, fairly anti-socal individual. Having a few miles on my sorry butt, I have met a lot of very sociable and anti-social individuals with terrible self-destructive tendencies and Tanner seems to fit the mold. I have seen alcohol destroy many a person. One does not just stop drinking and be over the addiction or the reason for the addiction.

Tanner could politely be described as "complex". I can admire his early fighting career, some of his single mindedness, but not much else.

And my post is just as unnecessary as yours. It is, after all, the Internet.

Rick

The article tho clearly describes a depressed, fairly anti-socal individual. Having a few miles on my sorry butt, I have met a lot of very sociable and anti-social individuals with terrible self-destructive tendencies and Tanner seems to fit the mold. I have seen alcohol destroy many a person. One does not just stop drinking and be over the addiction or the reason for the addiction.

agree with all this. but, not all people can be "fixed" either.

Tanner could politely be described as "complex". I can admire his early fighting career, some of his single mindedness, but not much else.
You don't really have to admire any of him. If you see him as a wreck and a loser, well, that could be justified.
And my post is just as unnecessary as yours. It is, after all, the Internet.
nonsense. I posted something celebratory and you contradicted it, although now you say you didn't mean it that way, so case closed :)

Round One

Fight !

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCBy8RoJUWM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCBy8RoJUWM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

D-Sub, sorry I said something wrong about your hero. My hero is Aqualung, a guy I could look up to. Stomp on him all you want. Call him a tramp, a bum, whatever, see if I care. You know what they say about getting upset/fighting on the internet. . .

Rick

Snot is running down his nose...

dude, I wasn't trying to fight, and you're actually right about Tanner...it just seemed like you were trying to shut down a tribute thread and if you were...why?

If not, I misinterpreted.

I don't mean to jump on the bandwagon, but...

D-Sub, in your original post you even referred to Tanner as a ****-up, because in addition to his amazing performance in the cage, he was kind of a ****-up. People like Tanner invite controversy (and since it's on the internet, you just have to deal with it :D) - they have great stories of great feats, but those great feats arise out of bad judgment and bad choices. e.g. not very many people have stories about bailing water out of a boat all night long to survive, but that's because the vast majority of people don't jump in a non-seaworthy boat for a long sail without a lot of boating experience; do you know what I mean? Do you admire a guy for successfully disarming a grenade, or do you note that he was the one who pulled the pin in the first place?

I don't want to bag on him too much as he is no longer with us.... You're right - I read this thread with interest when you first posted it a few days ago, but have been refraining for replying, as I kind of have a problem with the glorification of guys like him, probably because I have some personal chip on my shoulder. I knew a few guys like him growing up; they just happened to not have the physical gifts or the luck to end up as mma champions, and instead of ending up famous with an article in Men's Journal, they ended up drifting around, lost, a drain on society, and forgotten. The only thing about them is that they have this weird mystique of "marching to the beat of their own drummer", or "trying to truly test themselves against nature and find their spiritual place in the world", or whatever, except really (imo) they just can't get their crap together, be responsible, get a job, and apply some kind of foresight to the way that they live their lives.

Apologies, D-Sub - I don't really mean to rant; it's just touched on a sore subject for me (the glorification of stuff like this). If you read the comments on the mensjournal site, there are lots of comments about his "inspirational story and message", etc., and to me, I just think: What's inspirational about a guy who has no goal in life, and keeps ending up in life-threatening situations because he lacks foresight? What's more inspirational about that than the thousands of mothers and fathers who safely and successfully take their kids on trips to the desert after making sure their car is in good working order, making sure to pack extra water because they read up on the dangers of desert heat before they left, and letting friends and family know before they left? Why is somebody like him to be admired? What about that nerdy kid in high school who did have a goal in life, spent a decade learning deep esoteric knowledge on the intricacies of chemistry and biology, and is now trying to cure diseases for millions of people? Isn't that more worth appreciating than this one troubled guy?

In short, I kind of agree with rhaskins' take on Tanner. If he had survived his ordeal in the desert, it would have made for another great story about how this exceptionally physically gifted dude survived an incredible test of endurance and willpower, but who the hell goes into a desert in summer without enough gas or water?

All that being said: dude was a wicked fighter for sure. That David Terrell fight was brutal and entertaining. I wish I'd recorded yesterday's UFC. I'm going to try to avoid finding out who won, as I'd love to see the Franklin/Henderson fight fresh.

I don't mean to jump on the bandwagon, but...

D-Sub, in your original post you even referred to Tanner as a ****-up, because in addition to his amazing performance in the cage, he was kind of a ****-up.

not even kind of. Almost complete. He managed to do a few things here and there, but he was clearly a two steps forward three steps back kinda guy.

People like Tanner invite controversy (and since it's on the internet, you just have to deal with it :D)

I acknowledged all this...I just think it's kinda cruel to bag on a dude in a tribute thread, especially when the OP already said "yeah, he was massively flawed" with the intent of getting that out of the way. Like I said...in death, do we not celebrate the light?

- they have great stories of great feats, but those great feats arise out of bad judgment and bad choices. e.g. not very many people have stories about bailing water out of a boat all night long to survive, but that's because the vast majority of people don't jump in a non-seaworthy boat for a long sail without a lot of boating experience; do you know what I mean?

you're honestly not telling me anything I haven't already thought of.

Do you admire a guy for successfully disarming a grenade, or do you note that he was the one who pulled the pin in the first place?

LOL, well, both? Both.

I don't want to bag on him too much as he is no longer with us.... You're right - I read this thread with interest when you first posted it a few days ago, but have been refraining for replying, as I kind of have a problem with the glorification of guys like him, probably because I have some personal chip on my shoulder.

I absolutely do not see this as glorification! Even the Men's Journal article acknowledges how stupid he could be.

I knew a few guys like him growing up; they just happened to not have the physical gifts or the luck to end up as mma champions, and instead of ending up famous with an article in Men's Journal, they ended up drifting around, lost, a drain on society, and forgotten.

aside from the "drain on society" Im one of those dudes. directionless, lost, and will be forgotten. I don't think Tanner was a drain, either...

The only thing about them is that they have this weird mystique of "marching to the beat of their own drummer", or "trying to truly test themselves against nature and find their spiritual place in the world", or whatever, except really (imo) they just can't get their crap together, be responsible, get a job, and apply some kind of foresight to the way that they live their lives.

This is where it gets difficult, because..."getting your **** together" is a modern concept, and there are people who just don't fit. Yes, they are often screw ups, and probably immensely frustrating to deal with, but...to just dismiss them critically...I can't do it. Some people just don't fit.

Apologies, D-Sub - I don't really mean to rant; it's just touched on a sore subject for me (the glorification of stuff like this).

Again I don't see it as glorification. Just celebration of an extraordinary life. That dude did more in 37 years than 100 men combined do in their entire lifetimes. Some of it was STUPID, and haskins is right...the dude was a drunk and clearly had some serious mental issues, but again...in death...

If you read the comments on the mensjournal site, there are lots of comments about his "inspirational story and message", etc., and to me, I just think: What's inspirational about a guy who has no goal in life, and keeps ending up in life-threatening situations because he lacks foresight?

Im not sure why it annoys you so severely, but I do see your point.

What's more inspirational about that than the thousands of mothers and fathers who safely and successfully take their kids on trips to the desert after making sure their car is in good working order, making sure to pack extra water because they read up on the dangers of desert heat before they left, and letting friends and family know before they left?

Tanner took all those precautions. He made one massive, stupid mistake though. He thought a spring was there that wasn't, based on outdated satellite data. He did let people knwo where he'd be, AND, it must be noted that he went alone. He didn't jeopardize anyone but himself.

Why is somebody like him to be admired? What about that nerdy kid in high school who did have a goal in life, spent a decade learning deep esoteric knowledge on the intricacies of chemistry and biology, and is now trying to cure diseases for millions of people? Isn't that more worth appreciating than this one troubled guy?

Im having a hard time figuring out why you're so vehement about this. Yes, your example should be celebrated. Absolutely! But..why not BOTH? Both are equally human. Both are points on the spectrum of human experience, and both are worthy of celebration.

All that being said: dude was a wicked fighter for sure. That David Terrell fight was brutal and entertaining.

It was actually kinda sad. Terrell had a promising future and was never the same again. Tanner owned him, and completely destroyed his will to fight. Demoralized, thoroughly. It's actually really contradictory that someone who seems to love people so much would be so...brutal...

I wonder if he ever talked to Terrell after that.

I wish I'd recorded yesterday's UFC. I'm going to try to avoid finding out who won, as I'd love to see the Franklin/Henderson fight fresh.

I won't spoil it for you, but I will say DO NOT PAY FOR IT. It wasnt worth $55. Franklin/Hendo was good, but should have been better. Davis/Lytle was FOTN for sure. Coleman/Shogun, well....and you'll be surprised at the result of Kang/Belcher.

D-sub - your a lawyer! You infinately deconstruct! Good on you.

I can't much admire a guy that threw away his chances in life and killed himself. BTW, have you ever been to a real wake? Not everyone remembers just the good stuff, but everyone has a good time remembering the "host". Throw in a keg of beer and some whiskey and it is all good.

Rick

I need to go to my happy place

Happy MLK Day

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo9AH4vG2wA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo9AH4vG2wA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>