Note to New Members ×

Virus/UPZ RC10 (white) - my first impressions

Newmax

My feet: problematic:

• ca. one number difference in size.
  • on both feet ganglions with the size of my thumbtip next to my little toe
  • sensible ankles that hurt in some boots, but I never know exactly where and why.
  • left shin (goofy rider) hurts after two days of riding.

Up to now I was riding a Deeluxe suzuka (blue) with Thermoliners and a shintronic to protect my rear foot. The pain of the ganglions was reduced by refitting and widening the bootshell arround seven times last winter. So the remaining main issues I had were, that I always knocke my front foots big toe after jumping so that the nail became black and had to heal over the whole summertime. And second was my shin that was ok with the shintronics, but this was at the cost of foothold of the heel. With that new trouble was coming up, that I could lift my heel by estimated 2 cm till it got stuck at the bootshell. The liner was already thinned to some cloth at this spot.

This weekend in Sölden I could test the new RC10 from Virus/UPZ. The Outcome: I have new boots! Now to some details and my first impressions with it:

• if you step in the first time you might think, the liner is horrible hard. You really have to wait till the it warmed up! People recommend never to leave the boot in the cold (car) during night! After warming up it felt a lot better.
  • foothold for my heel is enormous. Never experienced such a great transmission. The zones of transmission in these boots seem to be very different than in the Deeluxe boot.
  • free toes: I have really nice space arround my toes, so that I never bounced the big toe even during bad jump-landings.
  • I can't really tell how my shin will be when riding this boot without the protectors (the tongue is said to be much better in that respect), cause I forgot them and rode two days in my old boots without. So the shin did hurt already when I switched to the UPZ. Will update on that asap
  • the “flowliner” can be molded by hand a bit to get rid of little dent marks (?) by “massaging the gel away”

In addition I have some hints for you:

• make sure, esp. when you get a new boot, to retighten all screws and even fis them with some screwglue (loctite?)
  • if your riding intecs, the drive-in nuts have to be mounted. This can be tricky, so it's wise to ask if you could get it done by a shop of your trust
  • again, when trying the boots the first time, wait some minutes for it to warm up, in the beginning it feels odd!
  • my feet are different than yours! There's no guarantee that they fit your feet, so always try it out, if you can. If not, make it possible :)

Good Luck.

PS: I'm not really an expert in judging flexes of boots. I was riding my Suzuka in open positions, sometimes it snapped and I didn't really felt a difference. This might also be due to my narrow-board riding with high angles! With the UPZ you get an adjustable springsystem and walkmechanism. Up to now I preferred riding with the springs!

Cheers Max, hope I didn't mess english up too much :eplus2:

Max! Thanks for the info. I heard really good things about the new boot, especially the liner and aren’t the new boots also over 2lbs. lighter?

Cheers!

Hey Ray! Since I've never had one of the old UPZ's on my feet I can't tell how much lighter they are, but hey are indeed really light.

PS: Aspen is not that far away anymore... I cross my fingers... :eplus2: