Note to New Members ×

Flat Vs Lifted? (bindings)

D-Sub

well...keepin my TD2s for now (never "didnt like them" just needed some $$) but...theres something that Im wondering about.

I started with a standard pair of burton plates on a PJ7, and I have a big ol cant plate on the back...

but then one day, I pulled that and rode the bindings flat

I think I liked it better. Felt like I was touching the board..."in tune"

so...after that, when I was riding a Killer Loop GS180...mounted the bindings with no cant, lift or anything, and felt fine as well!

now..the TD2s..I have 3* front and rear..and theyre lifted significantly off the surface of the board.

is there an advantage to this? disadvantage?

also, as a sub question...I just put them on a different board, and I found that I had to adjust the toe and heel block on my rear foot in order to get the boot feeling centered from edge to edge. The result is that the rear boot appears to be shifted toward the heel edge, and the front boot is more toward the toe edge.

why on earth would the bindings end up being different? Angle is set at about 57* on the back, 60 on the front. 19" waist...

heh. its funny how much you can start to think about when youre not actually riding!

Originally posted by D-Sub

also, as a sub question...I just put them on a different board, and I found that I had to adjust the toe and heel block on my rear foot in order to get the boot feeling centered from edge to edge. The result is that the rear boot appears to be shifted toward the heel edge, and the front boot is more toward the toe edge.

why on earth would the bindings end up being different? Angle is set at about 57* on the back, 60 on the front. 19" waist...

I have my bindings adjusted similarly - it's because of the steep angles.

Picture your rear boot in its binding - the toe is near the middle of the sidecut, where the board is narrow, while the heel is back towards the tail, where the board is wider. To position the toes and heels of your boot over the edge you're going to need to shift the boot heelwards to account for the differing board widths.

And the same for the front boot, except in reverse - you have to shift it toewards.

I don't know if other people do this or not. It's probably just a "princess and pea" thing that only anal types like you and me think about.

oh, right!

its actually called "bias" and is mentioned in an article by Jack I believe

I just didnt quite understand it...and it was wierd to have to keep adjusting **** to get it to look right

ok...now...what about flat vs lifted?

:)

heh.

sub question. har har

anyway...I wasnt talkinga bout heel and toe lift, so much as the distance between boot and board, due to the binding...

something about ME..the way I think about it...Id rather be in contact with the board.

I used to ride baseless bindings on a morrow 156. Board would be too small for me now, but for whatever reason back then I could carve the fck out of that thing, ride both ways, etc. and having my feet right on the board really felt RIGHT to me

now..the TD2s..I have 3* front and rear..and theyre lifted significantly off the surface of the board. is there an advantage to this? disadvantagew?

Lifting your bindings will provide more leverage when you edge the board as it creates a slightly longer moment arm to tilt the board (similar to using a length of pipe as a 'cheater bar' when you want to loosen a stuck nut).

A longer moment arm provides more leverage to edge the board, but will result in a slightly slower response (shorter levers provide quicker response than longer levers: imagine using a ten foot long light switch to turn the lights off and on!)

Obviously, lifting will provide additional clearance if you suffer from boot/binding overhang, and people with big feet will sometimes use lifts to help stop boot-out on soft setups with low stance angles.

I've noticed that when I ride with lifts, the longer moment arm will also provide more leverage in the <I>other</I> direction. In a turn, there are external forces trying to pull your board flat. It seems the longer lever arm amplifies these external forces as well as the forces you generate to tilt the board. I definitely notice this when I ride the TD-2's instead of a lower binding (like your B-tons). I notice it far more when I ride lifters on a wide board with soft boots and because of this I no longer ride the 2cm Palmer plates.

Lifting will also increase leverage for fore/aft and torsional twisting movements, but the effects, IMO, are far less pronounced.

If you're questions about flat vs. canted/lifted, alignment and canting issues are fairly thoroughly discussed elsewhere in this forum.

post-285-141842197986_thumb.gif

yeah..maybe thats why no one is touching it...because its been discussed before

I think Im gonna get a pair of X-Bones or some other..just to make a comparison one day.

you know how when you sit and _think_ about what feels "right?"

to me...its like my body wants my feet to be as close to the board as possible