Note to New Members ×

Board Recomendations

spil

So far from everyone's posts, here's what I've narrowed it down to:

- 182 Rad-Air Tanker (pretty expensive, best for pow/chop, ok for carving)

- Atomic Radon/Dreamraider (cheapest, good powder, ok in pow/chop)

- Prior 4WD/ATV (most expensive, best for carving, ok in pow/chop)

If I had my choice, with no budget involved, I would probably go with the tanker, because I don't plan on carving that much with it. But with budget in mind, I will probably end up going with one of the freeride boards, and sacrifice a little performance to save money. I'll also probably post a want ad for a tanker or 4wd/atv eventually. What size 4wd would fit me best (5'11" 140lbs)?

I might go the best route for my wallet and get an Atomic Radon or dreamraider. There are a few radons on ebay (the split tail ones) and I was wondering what would be a good size for me. There is also a dreamraider thats cheaper, but I can't help but want a sweet woodgrain splittail board. Do you think the split tail's performance would be worth the extra cash?

Another weird idea I have is my old freeride board. It is a 145 and I got it when I was a kid and weighed about 90 lbs. I was thinking i could get a big sheet of the poly-whatever plastic stuff that people put on their metal boards and make a butterfly shape out of that to stiffen up the board. Would this be worth it? I might try it just for fun anyway and see what happens.:rolleyes:

So far from everyone's posts, here's what I've narrowed it down to:

- 182 Rad-Air Tanker (pretty expensive, best for pow/chop, ok for carving)

- Atomic Radon/Dreamraider (cheapest, good powder, ok in pow/chop)

- Prior 4WD/ATV (most expensive, best for carving, ok in pow/chop)

If I had my choice, with no budget involved, I would probably go with the tanker, because I don't plan on carving that much with it. But with budget in mind, I will probably end up going with one of the freeride boards, and sacrifice a little performance to save money. I'll also probably post a want ad for a tanker or 4wd/atv eventually. What size 4wd would fit me best (5'11" 140lbs)?

The tanker will excell in the big wide open

The atomics are a well built, all around. Powder specific on the splitail.

The priors will give you longer boards with more carve specific flexes.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like the more I look, the more I can't decide, but here's what I've got now:

- 159 4wd used from prior (is it too small?)

- 167 ATV from bomber ($$$)

- Atomic Dreamraider (can't decide between 161, 165, and 170)

Will it be worth it to pay more than twice as much for the ATV than a dreamraider? Or maybe I should just stop being so anal, buy a board and get out and riiiiiide, man.

Another weird idea I have is my old freeride board. It is a 145 and I got it when I was a kid and weighed about 90 lbs. I was thinking i could get a big sheet of the poly-whatever plastic stuff that people put on their metal boards and make a butterfly shape out of that to stiffen up the board. Would this be worth it? I might try it just for fun anyway and see what happens.:rolleyes:

I wouldn't waste the money on that. In a length you're thinking that stuff doesn't have any real stiffness. It'd only be secured at the binding screws I'm guessing it would either buckle between the bindings, break between the bindings, or be so stiff between the bindings the board wouldn't ride right. That's all if you precisely drill the holes so there isn't much slop. If you enlarge the holes to make lining up easier, then you're relying on the stiffness of the material alone which is minimal at that length and not too resilient over long periods.

Not trying to be angle of death to your project, just more like Jiminey Cricket and Jim Rome's lovechild.

You could try a separate layup (so it's removeable) of fiberglass or Carbon fiber that you could mount under bindings. More layers more stiff. I think Madd or F2 had/has something like this. Maybe someone can correct me on that.

J