Note to New Members ×

Broken in Boise

Guest theduckllr

Guest theduckllr

June 1 2007. Mt. Hood Meadows. Imagine me arcing a perfect, fast carve.... right into a 6inch groom ridge that I couldn't or didn't see in the very bright sunny condition. Que the Wide World of Sports montage where the guy is flying down the hill in parts and pieces. 12 hours later I am in Boise, unable to walk because of a petruding disk. Pain, agony, and physical therapy later, I'm good as new. Fast forward to the present. I've been loving the epic powder days that have been extremely frequent, leaving my carving board to rot in the garage. So yesterday I finally dug it out and headed up. 3 runs into my day, I arc into a toeside extreme carve when my trailing hand touches the snow, gets caught, and whips behind my back, dislocating my arm from my shoulder midturn. I hit the brakes and stop under the lift. I didn't even crash for Pete's sake. WTF? Not 5 seconds go by and a pair of ski patrolers are at my side. They attempted to reset my arm, at my request, but were not able to get it back into the socket. They loaded me up in the meat sled and took me down to the medivac where a helicopter was just landing. Not for me thank God. After loading me onto a stretcher and cutting off some of my clothes, they again tried to get my arm reset. It took 4 ski patrolers and a lot of screaming on my part to get it in straight. After that, the pain subsided quite a bit and I was able to load up the kids and go home minus some clothes. And the lesson I learned? Don't put your trailing arm out to the ground beside you when it should be in front of you, and always listen to your gf/wife/fiance' when she says: Come home to me in one piece. :smashfrea Big props to the ski patrolers/felow carvers who lent me assistance that day, yanking my body back together. I've got some tearing in my shoulder, so it's a wait and see game to find out if this was a season ending event. UUUUGH!

OUCH! That sounds painful! Sorry to hear of your injury.

Brings a couple of things to mind.

(as much as it is popular and tempting "Don't Pat the Dog")

Alpine snowboarding is more effected by conditions than most forms of snow sliding (grooming edge)

Heal well, ride hard.

Bryan (Broken in PNW)