Note to New Members ×

Lower back pain exercises

crucible

Taking up Pilates and improving the core strength worked wonders for me. As did Trailertrash's suggestion - a new mattress. A decent mattress makes such a huge difference - I used to gimp out of bed every morning, and now there's no back pain at all when I wake up.

The other thing I might suggest is having a chiro do a work up with x-rays and the spinal roller, which gives you a map of where the aggravation points are on your spine. What was interesting with mine was that the pain was manifesting as lower back - and the problem was actually the second and third vertebrae on my neck -:confused:

I assume by spinal roller that you are talking about an insight millenium or similar scan. this would consist of an infrared thermal scan, a surface EMG, and a heart rate variability at a minimum. An algometer (pain test) and ROM could also be done on the same machine. since only ten percent of the nerve fibers leaving the spine are pain and sensory in nature the remaining ninety percent would largely be a mystery without some form of testing. 45 percent are motor nerves (muscle strength and coordination)(Semg) the remaining 45 percent are Autonomic ( organ and gland control ) (thermal scan, skin temp control is autonomic) think heart rate breathing digestion immune system etc. The pain is really a very poor indicator of the actual problem. If your Chiro doesn't xray and test this stuff he's not prepared to handle an active athlete or a serious injury.

probably the most ignored stretch for low back pain is the hamstring. As the hamstring tightens the muscles of the lower back have to compensate by loosening in order to allow you the same range of motion. This translates to easily injured low back. stretch your hamstrings all of you.:biggthump