Note to New Members ×

Looking for opinions on ~170cm metal boards

BadBrad

I'm thinking that for my next board I want a carving board somewhere around 170cm. I tend to like boards that are fairly short, turny, and somewhat on the soft side. I already have a 156 UltraPrime, which I bought when I weighed about 140, and I have a 164 4WD for all-mountain duty. I think I want something a bit longer, with a sidecut in the 10-11m range. The sweet spot for width for me seems to be in the 19-20cm range, which gives me angles around 55-60. My 4WD is 21.4cm and is a little wider than I like, even on an all-mountain board.

I am now 165 lbs., 5'7", size 26.5 boots. I only ride about 10 days a year, so I'm a perpetual intermediate and not a super aggressive rider.

Here are the boards I'm looking at:

Board edge waist SCR

Prior WCR metal 169 142 19.5 10.6

Coiler AM-T 169 145 19 9.9

Madd 170 TC 146 18 or 21 11.2

Silberpfiel 168 152 18.4 10.5

The Prior looks to have the perfect specs for me. Waist and SCR are right where I like them, and I fall right in the middle of the recommended weight range. The potential disadvantage is the metal topsheet. It is recommended to have protective plates under the bindings, and I prefer the feel of being closer to the board (I am currently using Burton race plates).

The Coiler has gotten rave reviews here. I like that it has a protective topsheet over the metal layer. I can also get it custom made for my weight and preferences and perhaps get a slightly bigger SCR and width.

The Madd 170 also looks like a great board and is said to be well-suit the east coast conditions that I usually ride in. I love the look of the carbon topsheet on the TC version. However, 18cm seems a bit too narrow and the 21cm wide version seems too wide.

The Silb has the longest effective edge of the bunch, not much nose and tail I guess. I've heard that it is on the soft side, which would suit me well. Might be a bit narrower than I'd like, but probably okay.

Any feedback, thoughts, specific experience, recommendations?

Thanks,

BB

I've ridden the Madd and Silber. These opinions are from someone who usually rides a GS board and let them run in Colorado snow, generally packed powder

Madd - very turny, almost needs to turn. Often times I felt like it was going to throw me on my head because of it. I felt that it would be a great board for a day in the bumps with groomed runouts. When I tried a GS turns the board was willing but not happy. I would be willing to have one in my quiver, just not as my daily ride, more of a crowded weekend ride when I need more space than the groomers will offer.

Silber - Willing to make small and large turns, but has a limited range of speed before the board can't keep up. The board always held it's edge well until the nose folded. The nose is to soft and above a certain speed the nose will consistently fold. It didn't throw me over the bars, but felt very limited in how much confidence it would give me. Not a board that I would purchase for the way I ride. If you have generally crowded slopes and don't like to run very fast, it would be a good board.

Where did you found that metal specs for Prior? or did you plan make it as custom? I know that works well anyway :)

What comes to metal topsheet, Prior has/had also clear sheet option, please check that. But as on another thread for protecting metal layer one needs more stuff than that thin top sheet. My better half really hates high bindings and does not want anything extra under bindings, but when i installed 5mm thick polycarbonate plate in her 163, she did not even noticed that.

Good luck with your choice.

Where did you found that metal specs for Prior? or did you plan make it as custom? I know that works well anyway :)

What comes to metal topsheet, Prior has/had also clear sheet option, please check that. But as on another thread for protecting metal layer one needs more stuff than that thin top sheet. My better half really hates high bindings and does not want anything extra under bindings, but when i installed 5mm thick polycarbonate plate in her 163, she did not even noticed that.

Good luck with your choice.

Yeah, I was thinking custom since the 173 looks to be the shortest stock WCR metal. People have said that the metal boards tend to ride like a shorter board, so I was even considering the 173, but the 169 specs just look better for me.

I usually ride small crowded hills, and I like to make a lot of turns at moderate speed, so the Silber might work well for me.