Note to New Members ×

Return to racing

Guest J Clark

Guest J Clark

07-08 is my 21st season riding and I used to race/ride full time, but stopped 10 years ago to pursue a career - that paid the bills - and I've recently returned to the sport with a renewed vigor. I had the fortune to grow up at the base of Mt Hood and learned to ride from the Coglans, Windell, Brushie, Jacoby, Kelly, Estes, Donahue, Downey, Pappas etc, etc, and have ridden 1500+ days in my career.

Currently I free ride 2-3 times a week but I have not lost the carve/race bug and I decided to reenter the race scene with several upcoming slalom events this season. Unfortunately I'm just not up to date on the latest equipment and boards, therefor I'm looking for professional advice on these things and whether there is a racing league or team that I can join to train within the area - Portland. Specifically, I'm 6'2", 200 pounds with a size 12.5-13 shoe(can squeeze into a 12) and I need input on the right hard carving board for freeriding and slalom competition, plus boots and bindings/cants.

I want to purchase new gear relatively soon and need advice I can trust.

I greatly appreciate any help and I hope to get a chance to ride with you in the future.

Best Regards,

J Clark

I used to race/ride full time, but stopped 10 years ago to pursue a career

If you are up to speed on modern construction, skip this paragraph. I think you will find that board technology has changed a lot since then. Metal (specifically titanal) incorporated into the construction has allowed the boards to become softer longitudinally, be damp, but remain torsionally rigid; thus very quick edge-to-edge. This quickness and rigidity has allowed the manufacturers make the wide boards that are still very responsive. There are many manufacturers making metal boards (i.e. Kessler, SG, Coiler, Nidecker...).

Not trying to take away from Bomber, but you should give Bola at All Boards Sports a call (he stocks equipment Bomber does not carry). He has Kessler, SG, Nidecker metal boards in stock, plus many other options for bindings (i.e. Phiokka). His number is 303-415-1600.

Zac Kay may have a used Kessler SL board with Hangle plates he is selling. Even used it will still run you about $800 though. These are the boards winning every world cup event. If you are interested I can ask him if he still is selling it. He is about your size (slightly smaller, but the board will still work). As for bindings, almost all high level riders are on F2 standard bail bindings (good luck finding a pair though, I have finally found some, but at a high cost)