Note to New Members ×

New Article

csquared

• 2 weeks later...

... when you're having fun.

It took the better part of four days to go from raw materials to the laminated board sans top sheet. If Bruce had been doing it, he would have been about twice as fast. Then it took 4 months to find time to design, order, and get the top sheet on the board.

My family was very, very patient while I abandoned them day after day during our holiday to play around in Bruce's shop. I think the only reason I managed to find time to write the article and get a top sheet designed was that I was in the hospital for a week having a double hernia repaired in October. Its a busy life.

Great article!

"Of the final stage I can only say “Don’t try this at home.” "

I got to ask you though....Why the hell not?

http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=992

:biggthump:biggthump:biggthump

I now realize that you've been working on your own creation so here's my response: there's certainly no reason why any of us should not try constructing a board at home. The context in which I said "don't try this" related to the final step in the core shaping process that Bruce uses. Because Bruce cuts the camber into the core the thickness gauging of the core requires a lot of finesse. Using Titanal plies means that the core material must be very thin (or the board would be too stiff). After gauging the core down with a router to the point that the tip and tail are only about 3 mm thick, Bruce takes it the last .1 to .2 mm with a sander and the coursest media you can find. The material disappears in the blink of an eye and I think he spent about 10 seconds on the whole board. The crudest method was used to achieve the finest result. However, you or I could easily destroy a lot of hard work by doing this oiurselves. So, "don't try this at home".

Good luck with the board. Its a great project.

...will be at SOS on Friday. In fact, it may be the only suitable board I have if we get the promised snow (Bruce is trying to poach it and is complaining that all he has to ride at the moment is a Schtubby).

Thanks for compliments on the graphics. If you are thinking of ordering a Coiler, I have given Bruce the graphics minus the 2 over the C. He actually applied it backwards. I had designed it with the C at the tail of the board which is generally the way that ski graphics are laid out. However, the design is pretty ambidextrous so I am not unhappy with the result.

Good article. Took two Cuba Libre's and then some to get through it, well written and well worth the time. I think it is easy to take for granted what Bruce, Sean, Chris and others put into our boards. Pure Love. (if I ever have the means to order a Coiler, thats what Ill call it, Pure Love)