Note to New Members ×

split tails

kirtap

Well, see the split tail has this cut in the rear that goes up the center of the board a foot or so, making it much easier than normal for the carver to break off the tail. It's a Sims plot to increase sales, unfortunately the warranty department is way over budget.

But seriously, some people thought a split tail would make a more adjustable finish to the carve, the softer flex would let you tighten up the carve if needed. Notice that nobody makes splits any more? Some people even said it was more of a psychological thing, if you thought the latest gimmick made the board better, then it did.

I've rode both, split and non-split, non-broken split that is. Not really much to it, except maybe the comments in the lift line ---- DUDE - YOUR BOARD! IT'S BROKE!

Guest Jagger

I'm not sure they are anything more than cosmetic. Pogos have a similar cut out and they say they give you the cut out piece as a key chain with your boards serial # on it. I have two oxygens with cut outs and the cut is so small I can't see it having any effect on board flex.

Ever notice you first turn feel nothing like your second or third?

The reason the Fist turn of the run feels nice is because you do not have any energy bouncing from edge to edge laterally across the board. This energy bounces in waves back and forth through the core in wavelengths that converge and stack or collide and reduce depending on their size and interval.

This can produce chatter and ackward energy transmission to the tail by the rider. It is some time felt in the form of bounce as the tail enters and exits the turn.

If the tail is spit, the energy never bounces from active edge to active edge only to the split, this allows the wavelength to be short and disrupted allowing the tail to be much More "Fresh"

The dissapointing side affect was stiffness or lack there of, so the answer is to increase the length of the tail providing more stablity.

As this happen you are moved ahead or the center pattern or line of the board giving you a short nose to initiate with and a long soft DAMP tail to finish out the turn on. Problem is a long soft DAMP tail that is split is also more likely to fracture at the tail!

Landing on the tail brakes most Burners, Lost of brakage also happens when the rider has more board then they can handle.

IE. "Dude I just bought this like 197 it is going to be soooo much faster then my burton factory prime 173 I am going to be the fastest cat on the hill!"

Then they go out and the board takes them for a ride in which they end up in the back seat the whole time cuz they are scared sh*tless. Since the tail is so long it has to bear all the riders panic moves and quick saves (useally alot of stopping from speed with to much weight on the back foot because of the tail length) while learning to ride it. This begins the process of weaking the tail. It is just a matter of time before the weakend section fails. as the rider becomes more comfy and really starts to charge.

Most spits are made to be ridden very heavy on the nose ahead of center by as much as 3-4 cms to avoid this.

SIDE NOTE: When Mark Fawcett and Sims made burners for RACING (not as race boards you can buy) They had a Tinkler like plate to stiffen the board under foot and direct energy foward, Mark also broke some tails until the pattern was shifted foward to the production locations. I have ridden lots of spilts in lots of sizes 165-207cm and have never broken a tail on any of them, Most of them were or had been pure race stock. I am a very foward driving rider to begin with and the boards suit my style very well. But getting a leture from Mark and Chris Prior about how to ride them with out braking them was interesting. I have never broking a stock burner either. I am a powerful rider who has broken to many boards boots and binding to remember. I really beleive in the spit tail and Kildys spilit nose and core shapes but until materals improve, durability for production splits will always be low.

Have fun!

Willy,

I think I saw in another post your a big cat round 235? That just proves its all about style. And awarness of a weak point. This post almost ties in with the Madd Swoard post same gig.

There is a board out there for everyone, The problem is they all ride different! Of course the really cool part is they all ride different!

Riding different gear in different ways is what harbooting is all about! Of course I am not gear spacific, I truley beleave every sliding devise is fun in its own way! Cuz your still sliding!

P.S. John I am on spring break!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bordy, Ironic thing is..I didn't break it myself. I've ridden it a handful of times and I know what the split will tolerate.I lent it out and was ADAMANT about what NOT to do while riding it.I might be a big guy but I do know something about finesse and how to apply all that downforce. Many tools for many applications.I'd love to make some sweet swooping turns on a Swoard in virgin French snow one of these days tho.