Note to New Members ×

How long did it take for you to get fit?

Fastskiguy

You know how it goes, your first year to struggle to get your equipment together then you actually start thinking about improving your second year. I'm in my second year now and want to ride a LOT (!) but I poop out after 10-12000 feet of vertical-and that's midwest vertical, not "deep cycle" "real" mountain riding. How long before you could ride 20-25K per day?

<awaiting by "recovering" on the couch with an adult beverage>

If you started at a decent base level of fitness, you could get your alpine legs ready for a 25K ft day in about 7 days of continuous riding.

My brother-in-law and his older brother came out for Thanksiving weekend to Whistler Blackcomb last year. Their home mountain is Loon Mt. in NH, and when they asked me for advice for conditioning, I flat out told them that they better do some hill climbing, stairmaster, or roadwork on a bicycle or else they would be wasted after their first day.

They were diligent about their conditioning, and they did great. After their first day of orientation, I had them doing Peak to Creek runs by their second day, and their final day they actually were able to ride solid from First Tracks (0700) to final closing at 1530.

Of course, they were falling asleep in their dinner chairs on the first two days, and every night was capped with Ibuprofen, but then again, so was I.

Even when I was a very fit triathlete and weighed 30 lbs less than I do now, I would get serious thigh burn after a half day on a bigger mountain. Aerobically I was fine, but my muscles would just die. No matter how fit you are there is really no substitute for actually riding, but leg strength exercises will help a lot.

Last year I was doing spinning classes and running and yoga and a weight machine circuit in preparation for the ski season, but when I went on a ski trip, I was beat after the first half day and then for each day after that I was hurting after just a couple of hours.

This year I've been doing more hill running, either hill repeats or hilly trail running, plus more leg presses and lunges for leg strength. I've also been pushing myself pretty hard in the spinning classes and doing more core training. My first day this year actually went really well. I took frequent breaks, but still managed to ride through mid-afternoon. I haven't done the stairmaster, but I have done treadmill running at 6-8% incline. Another great exercise I've found is pressing my back against a wall with legs bent at a 90-degree angle, like sitting in a chair without the chair. That really works the thigh muscles similar to deep carving.

I've also been trying to lose some weight, exercising like a madman every morning (spinning, weights, swimming) and running at lunchtime, plus a long run (9 to 14 miles) on the weekend. I've also been eating a lot more fruits and vegetables, no sodas, no sugar in my coffee, almost no baked goods, but I still haven't lost any weight. Pretty frustrating.

Anyway, hopefully I'll do better on my ski trip this year than last.

don't get too hung up on weight. what is important is body composition. as you lose fat and gain muscle the numbers don't change much, because muscle weighs more than fat. what you'll probably notice first is how your clothes fit a little looser.

Unfortunately, they don't fit looser, and there is a signficant amount of pudge around my middle. I'm not obese or anything, but I certainly felt better when I weighed less.