Note to New Members ×

Summit Expression Session videos good for technique?

rikytheripster

I'm sure you'll see plenty of people ripping great turns, but you will see many different "styles". While learning to carve, you should aspire to ride "perfectly", which almost nobody really does (I don't). After you have achieved a certain level of mastery is when your own particular style really develops. So when you see somebody carving up a storm in a non-instructional video like the SES/ECES dvd, what you see most is somebody's personal style, which they have found works best for only themselves. A video of someone demonstrating only "perfect" technique would be pretty boring.

Learning to carve is like learning to play a musical instrument. It's not too hard to learn the basics and then try to emulate someone else without learning theory. Is it possible to get really good this way? Yes. But only the students who first learn the theory and how to play perfectly - all the scales, chords, modes, etc., and how to play classical and jazz and blues, will then go on to develop their own unique style at a level that can truly be called mastery.

So if you already know what perfect technique looks like and you can identify what is style and what is technique, then the video might be useful. Otherwise, I couldn't recommend it as a "real" learning tool.

-Jack