Note to New Members ×

Nordica boots

newcarver

I have an old pair of 14year old Nordica SBH, great boot. they are basically an AT boot with a lateral cuff flex release. I still use mine W/rattraps for spring time backcountry because they have a good hiking sole. They are a good bit stiffer than my Raichle 123,s & 124's, hope that helps. Recomended if you can get'em cheap.:biggthump

Depends which model you're looking at. Nordica make a lot of boots :)

The TR series are touring boots, and frankly are horrible to ski in, way too floppy. Okay for going uphill, though, which is what they are built for, although they are very heavy (3500g the pair) compared to a lot of the newer boots out there (Dynafit ZZeros, Scarpa Denalis and the like, which generally weigh in at 1800g or so). As boarding boots they are okayish, although you may need to "carve", if you'll forgive the pun, the heel a bit to make it fit into your bindings (I had to with my now-deceased TR9s). You've got no lean adjustment, only "locked" and "walk" mode, and they are relatively *very* flexible fore-aft even in locked mode, more flexy than the older Raichle SB series, at least. They also have a long sole compared to a specific boarding boot.

Their real benefit is as a lifty boot, as they are dead comfortable "all day wear" when you've not got your skis or board on, and they have vibram soles, which is handy for going up pylons.

Binned my TR9s at the end of last season, after managing to crack the shells irreparably, have replaced them with a pair of K5.1 alpine ski boots (secondhand, 29€). Not the same thing at all :)

AT boots are not a *terrible* option for boarding, but you're better off with something more adapted, IMO.

Simon

SBH is a great boot, very comfortable. Not stiff at all. Not a tech boot but great for just freeride carving. I've been thru many pairs, currently running the race version which is a bit beefier. The bails tend to pop, just wrap some duct tape. The nut/bolt for ankle rivet hinge usually breaks on the rear foot after 3 seasons of beating them. Let me know if you find any 28.5s for cheap.Looking at some Heads for this season but love the Nordicas for overall fit and comfort.Even turned on dano to 'em and he loves em too.Get some good footbeds/orthotics, too.