Note to New Members ×

PayPal and Scams and Scammers

C5 Golfer

Maybe some of you more skilled in the art can explain why this is.

A while back I cancelled my PayPal account because Hackers tried to get in on a weekly basis. Almost a year now. During this time period not one junk email from ebay or payapl scammers.

Just 4 days ago I signed up again because of an item I needed off of Ebay and it was PayPal only. Now within 1 day of that sign up I am getting constant emails that are Phishing for my Paypal account update, ebay paypal item not paid for, cancelled ebay buyer - all junk non valid emails- list goes on. How is that possible?

How do the scammers know I signed up for PayPal so quickly. I wish there was someway to shoot someone over the internet line. :AR15firin:AR15firin

That's funny (not funny - ha ha, but the other one) cause I don't get any emails from paypal. In the past year or so I'd say I got a couple emails about privacy policy updates and one about 20% cash back... I think that's about it besides notifications about things that I actually bought.

That's weird. My first suspicion is that you have some sort of spyware sitting on your machine tracking where you go. I've never seen anything like that. I do get the occasional phishing email purporting to be from eBay or PayPal, and I forward them along to the respective fraud groups. But I've never seen what you describe. Of course now that I've said that "out loud" I'm sure to get about 5 of them by tomorrow morning.

Is it possible you have some spyware? Just a thought.

That's weird. My first suspicion is that you have some sort of spyware sitting on your machine tracking where you go. I've never seen anything like that. I do get the occasional phishing email purporting to be from eBay or PayPal, and I forward them along to the respective fraud groups. But I've never seen what you describe. Of course now that I've said that "out loud" I'm sure to get about 5 of them by tomorrow morning.

Is it possible you have some spyware? Just a thought.

Anything is possible -- but I am using a brand new Dell M90 2-3 weeks old new, with Vista Business, I have loaded only a few programs so far. It is pretty good so far that it won't let anything happen or install without asking my permission first , I have security set pretty high.

How does spyware get on a machine?

Never had that happen with paypal but have had a ton from e-bay. You can log into your account on e-bay and if you have the same mail in your ebay mailbox as you got with your standard mail it is legit otherwise it is bogus. If you have any question, always confirm it by going to your ebay account directly(not through the regular e-mail letter which tries to get your password). You can report phishing e-mail to e-bay safeharbor. I don't remember the address but you can forward your phony e-bay letter to something like spoof@ebay.com or something and the are supposed to investigate it. Also, once you find a scam mail add it to your spam list and it will filter out any more from this same IP address. Hope this helps.

Never had that happen with paypal but have had a ton from e-bay. You can log into your account on e-bay and if you have the same mail in your ebay mailbox as you got with your standard mail it is legit otherwise it is bogus. If you have any question, always confirm it by going to your ebay account directly(not through the regular e-mail letter which tries to get your password). You can report phishing e-mail to e-bay safeharbor. I don't remember the address but you can forward your phony e-bay letter to something like spoof@ebay.com or something and the are supposed to investigate it. Also, once you find a scam mail add it to your spam list and it will filter out any more from this same IP address. Hope this helps.

Thanks -- I do that on any email no matter what the account.. Always go to the native account. I report phishing emails to my msn hotmail link. Yes, i do you email junk blocker but they change so often that it is not much help. smart bastards!! still want to shoot em. :AR15firin:AR15firin