Note to New Members ×

Body Armor

chrisk

I'm looking to buy some body armor for boarding. I'd like full length uppers and lowers that I can wear in-place of long underwear. If anyone could suggest a dealer I'd appreciate it. Dave Morgan gave me a few names while we were at ECES, but I forgot everything he said within minutes (my fault, not his).

Chris K

There is Dainese stuff, but it's hard to get in the States.

I've been using Skeletools brand gear and like it a lot - good for recreational boarding.

I've definitely crashed hard on my butt a bunch of times off of jumps and rails and the pants have protected me extremely well.

You could also try Crash Pads but I found they stuff to be of lower protection and quality (I switch from them to Skeletools this season).

Originally posted by Matt D

Hey Chris,

You could also check out www.freefallgear.com or even RED which is a division of burton. The free fall gear is highly recommended though.

What was the name of the stuff Dave Morgan had?

Anyone here own the shorts from Free Fall gear, they look protective, but I wonder about articulation and fit.

Wow, I'm not the only one using protective gear.

I wear hockey shorts and skateboard knee pads. The skeletools and freefall shorts don't look nearly as beefy as my hockey shorts. My hockey shorts have pads with plastic inserts on the hip, thigh, tailbone , butt and lower back.

Even though the skeletools and freefall shorts look a little more comfy, I'll stick with the extra protection of the hockey shorts.

I highly recommend a good pair of hockey shorts for snowboarding and skateboarding.

I have been looking for some shoulder/collar bone protection. So probably for next season, I'll get the shoulder/collar bone pads from skeletools or freefall. Those websites have been added to my favorites list.

Thanks for the info:)

Originally posted by gdboytyler

Wow, I'm not the only one using protective gear.

I wear hockey shorts and skateboard knee pads. The skeletools and freefall shorts don't look nearly as beefy as my hockey shorts. My hockey shorts have pads with plastic inserts on the hip, thigh, tailbone , butt and lower back.

Even though the skeletools and freefall shorts look a little more comfy, I'll stick with the extra protection of the hockey shorts.

I highly recommend a good pair of hockey shorts for snowboarding and skateboarding.

Thanks for the info:)

What type of hockey pants are you using? Most of the hockey pants I've used growing up would be way too big and bulky for snowboarding and definitely skateboarding. There is no way you could fit them under your pant so you would have to wear them outside were they would fill out with snow. The padding isn't for the right purposes either, for instance the thigh plates are needed for deflecting hockey slashes or puck flying around at high speeds.

Are you taking about the ones that are separate inner pads with the pull over cover-shorts? I've seen a few player use them, but they don't seem as common.

Originally posted by lonerider

What type of hockey pants are you using? Most of the hockey pants I've used growing up would be way too big and bulky for snowboarding and definitely skateboarding.

I use Easton Z-Air hockey shorts. I have a 30" waist, but use JR size hockey shorts to decrease the bulk. For skateboarding, I just wear the hockey shorts. For snowboarding, the JR size are small enough to fit under my baggy snowboard pants. With my jacket on, bystanders can't tell I've got hockey shorts on. With the jacket off, the lower back padding shows.

For snowboarding, I've only fell on the tailbone pad. For skateboarding, I've pretty much slammed on every pad in my hockey shorts. The thigh pads saved me from a huge bruise when I was doing a frontside 50-50 grind in a half-pipe, fell off and slammed my thighs into the coping. Without the shorts, my session would have been done.

I'm on my second set of hockey shorts. My first set got tore-up from skateboarding.

I use Easton Z-Air hockey shorts. I have a 30" waist, but use JR size hockey shorts to decrease the bulk. For skateboarding, I just wear the hockey shorts. For snowboarding, the JR size are small enough to fit under my baggy snowboard pants. With my jacket on, bystanders can't tell I've got hockey shorts on. With the jacket off, the lower back padding shows.

For snowboarding, I've only fell on the tailbone pad. For skateboarding, I've pretty much slammed on every pad in my hockey shorts. The thigh pads saved me from a huge bruise when I was doing a frontside 50-50 grind in a half-pipe, fell off and slammed my thighs into the coping. Without the shorts, my session would have been done.

I'm on my second set of hockey shorts. My first set got tore-up from skateboarding.

Interesting. I definitely considered wearing my hockey pants when I first started snowboarding... but there were just too big since they were primarily for playing hockey in a checking league (and I'm very small for a hockey player).

I haven't hit my thighs on a rail yet either (knock on wood) although I did take a hit to the gut last weekend when I tried to do a 50-50 to backside boardslide (or whatever you call the one where you turn your board such that the heelside edge is going downhill). I'm just not good with 50-50 to boardslides, I normally like going straight to boardslide, but the thought of doing a backside 90 onto a rail and riding blind kind of scares me.

I'll do boardslides on a skateboard (rails and half-pipes). Those are easy enough to bail if something goes wrong. I can only do 50-50's on half-pipes, not rails.

On a snowboard, I just stick to 50-50's on rails. Messing up a 50-50 on a rail with a snowboard looks too painful.

The older I get, the less snowboard freestyle I do.

I'll do boardslides on a skateboard (rails and half-pipes). Those are easy enough to bail if something goes wrong. I can only do 50-50's on half-pipes, not rails.

On a snowboard, I just stick to 50-50's on rails. Messing up a 50-50 on a rail with a snowboard looks too painful.

The older I get, the less snowboard freestyle I do.

You mean messing up on "boardslides" on a rail?

Yea, I've been kind of cautious about it for the past two years... but I've watched a girl work on her rail tricks the last two season and she's locked down a bunch of tricks - front and backside boardslides, nosepress, and boardslide nosepress. I find her dedication to rails kind of inspiring and figure I should at least attempt to branch out a bit.

Nevertheless, I totally agree that it can be painful. Hence why I'm all padded up. Even then, rails are pretty dangerous as unlike jumps... where you need to go big and high before seriously hurting yourself, you can jack yourself immediately. It takes a bit of courage, and a bit of stubborness to ignore the risks - but I think I can handle it. I'm still hesistant to do the C or S-shaped rails though. :eek:

Yeah, I meant messing up on boardslides with a snowboard is worse than blowing a boardslide on a skateboard. Unless the skateboard rail is high enough to rack your nuts!

I've only done low rail on a skateboard.

I usually only hit rails and boxes if I'm riding with a friend that wants to do rails/boxes. I haven't had any bad falls on rails. But I have slid out on a box, hit the box with my back, bounced off and landed on my back in the snow. Luckily it was only a 3 or 4 ft high box:p

That pants and jacket that I wore at the ECES were Dainese. The jacket has soft padded shoulders and arms while the pants have removable pads around the but, hips and knees. The pants pads have a hard outer shell like skateboard pads. Sweet stuff.

Check out blue-tomato.com and Dainese.com, they have specific types of protection, jackets, pants, they are all well made and work great. Got my jacket thru blue-tomato, good company to purchase this stuff thru. The No Gomers were only $20 in the 04 issue of the Reliable Racing catalog.