Note to New Members ×

Transition from soft boot to hard

newcarver

What can I expect the first time I ride my race board with hard boots compared to my standard ride? Have never hardbooted before. Bought an older race board. Current board that I've been riding is an Arbor A-frame 162 with Drake matrix bindings and Burton Carbide boots. Are there any certain things that I should know to make my first time better? Certain things that will be more difficult/ easier? Have the race board set up with about 48 and 46 degree angles on the bindings and a 17" stance. This is for a 156 board. Will these measurements work well to start? Thanks. Oh, forgot to ask. Would it be best to set up the A-frame with hardboots and plates first? Then try the race board?

I was going to suggest you try your last question. Try it on a board you know what to expect from. You'll be able to see directly the performance upgrade.

I'm currently riding an A-Frame 170 in hb's...(just got a Renntiger to step up to). With the wide board (A-Frame) don't try to go too high with your angles. Whatever you can get with toes and heels just at the edge. Me in 12.5 (29 mondo I think) I run 50f 40-45r (from memory I'll check at home). I tried 50+ but when I edged, the side loading of the boot onto my legs was scary. I dialed the angle down till it felt right.

Right off the bat, your quads will burn...even after a full season of softie riding I switched to hb's and the first two runs I was aching. I now use BTS and it's much more ergonomic on the Sazukas I have plus I like the flex for some stance adjustment.

Even though your 'Frame at 162 is a bit longer than your Rossi, the effective edge is way shorter (I'd guess 20cm shorter) than the Rossi. You'll notice this once you go to the Rossi that you have a ton more edge hold and you should be able to rail much faster and harder.

Sure you can just jump to the Race board, but one added benefit I found with hb's on a traditional board...better pow performance. My Frame 170 was a tank in the pow. Too stiff, no taper, not much setback and a small nose. It killed ice and groom and was a dream to launch and land but pow...not so much. In hb's though, every little shift and stance shift (front-back) it amplified and transmitted directly to the board. For me (200lbs) it made my Frame behave like it had more taper, and a bigger nose. And tree riding is so much more precise than before. Many peeps don't like hb's for pow, but I like em for everything...especially pow.

J

Thanks for the info. I think I will try it on the A-frame first and get used to the feel of it before mounting up the race board. Might even get another set of plate bindings so I can use the A in pow and the race for cruisers. Still have another softboot setup for everything else.

I would suggest going straight to the race board. Your angles do not sound very steep at all so you shouldn't have any rotation/counter rotation or balance issues. This is what plagued me at first, but my angles were set at 68 degrees. You will get a better sense of the "norm" on a board with more torsional stiffness. Your hard boot setup may overwhelm and twist the softer board which could prove difficult on heal side turns. If you are a confident rider who can carve well in soft boots, then jump in with two feet and let her rip!

Good luck and let us know how it goes